Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

When to use ready mix drywall mud vs spackle

Non-US

10-04-15, 05:18 PM   #1  
When to use ready mix drywall mud vs spackle

Hello.

I accidentally put a large size dent into the drywall and want to know would it be OK to use drywall mud (ready mix joint compound) or should I use spackle ? Will the unused (ready mix joint compound) outlast spackle ? The dent is not a hole that has penetrated through the drywall just a 3.5" in diameter dent.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

10-04-15, 05:36 PM   #2  
Joint compound is fine. It will last until the next accident.

VA

10-04-15, 05:51 PM   #3  
Spackle is only for tiny nail holes like where you hang a picture.
Use a 6' wide dry wall knife, going to take more then one coat, apply one coat let dry scrape with the knife, wipe off, apply another coat to fill in any low areas, only time you need to sand is the final coat.
Run you hand over the area to feel if it's smooth, no primer ir paint is going to fix flaws. Still feels rough, low or high area stop and sand or fill before priming. Make sure to prime and paint where it the repair is.
Do not use a primer in one!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-05-15, 03:57 AM   #4  
I don't know that one product will last longer than the other but as Joe said - spackling is for minor repairs and shouldn't be used if the damage is deep or wide. Do the walls have a texture?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Non-US

10-05-15, 10:25 PM   #5  
Thanks to all posters. Thank you.

Non-US

01-18-16, 10:11 PM   #6  
Hello one more question I've used spackle on a section (3" - 4") diameter area of the wall. This is before I knew that spackle is just for small holes caused by nails. The area of the wall needs more layering and my question is can I use regular joint compound over the existing layer of spackle ? Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-19-16, 04:11 AM   #7  
Yes, you can apply j/c over the spackle. I would hit it with 80 grit sandpaper just to make sure any spackling that didn't adhere great would be removed.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread