Removing Wallpaper glue before Texturing

Old 10-12-15, 01:36 PM
Removing Wallpaper glue before Texturing

I had wallpaper (obviously by the title) and it was really well done, they even did all the outlet covers. So there is a solid layer of glue on the wall. What I did is use the Fabric Softener and Water mix. It worked great for getting most of the glue off with a metal scraper. But to get the rest of the glue (a thin layer in spots) its requires a TON of scrubbing. I use a heavy duty scrubber and then a sponge and alternate. I have about 3 more entire rooms to do and my arms are near jello and I have been doing it for like a week and a half in my spare time.

Oh yeah, we have a plaster guy coming to texture the walls. He told me he is going to use joint compound.

Just wondering how important it is to get ALL of the glue off? And I am going to make sure it gets primed, by either the guy doing the plastering or myself.

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-15, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Get what you can. Cover anything you can't remove with Zinsser Gardz primer.

Old 10-12-15, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree

There is a reason most of us that have had to strip wallpaper don't care much for it anymore.

Old 10-12-15, 02:19 PM
Alright... Just digging for any possible reason to not have to scrub my life away. But I will... Don't feel like doing it again 5 years from now.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-15, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be sure to rinse your rag/sponge frequently and change out the water as needed. You can re smear the adhesive around on the wall if you aren't careful

Old 10-12-15, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If not already, make sure to use hot water. I don't bother with the fabric softener anymore and just go with the hot water and a sponge for anything that won't come off with the initial scrape. I sometimes use a garden sprayer to initially wet the walls a couple of times. If a small room, I use a spray bottle. Keep everything wet and don't let it dry out. Problem with not getting it all off, is that it can soften when paint is applied and cause bond issues for the texture.

Old 10-12-15, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Alright... Just digging for any possible reason to not have to scrub my life away. But I will...
No scrubbing required. Just get the bumps down and prime. The Gardz mentioned above will take care of any adhesion problems. Gardz is real thin, it only takes a little to cover the area.

Old 10-13-15, 07:03 AM
Yeah when I scrub, it does smear it all, then I just rinse and keep scrubbing until it is all off. I have a really good feeling I am going to be fine, especially after I prime. I looked at the reviews for the primer suggested and they all seemed great. But like was also mentioned, the more prep the better. So I will continue with what I am doing. I am sure some of you understand but I like to do everything perfect with my house and not cut corners. Just takes me longer... so it might be a battle to not do it perfect and scrub for days. But that will be my own fault.

Thanks for all the input, this forum is great!