Patching small hole for reuse

Old 10-28-15, 10:20 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Patching small hole for reuse

So long story short, I am a bit of a novice when it comes to DIY jobs. I went to hang my television on a mount specifically designated for use on drywall without studs (the OmniMount OMF TV Wall Mount to be exact). When drilling one of the wall anchors cracked, so now I have a less than dime size hole where the drill went into the wall and the anchor broke. Is there an easy way to fill in this small hole to make it suitable for drilling into again? I assume puddy or compound may not be strong enough. Or maybe it is, this is where you tell me.

My fear in moving the tv slightly upwards or downwards is I would have to unscrew out the other screws already in place with their anchors and I am unsure if these anchors could be reused or even removed period without breaking. The mount randomly gave me five anchors, so I only have one remaining that I know will fit the screws given.

I apologize in advanced for my ignorance on DIY jobs, please feel free to talk down to me like I am five in explaining anything

Below is a picture for reference...
Name:  IMG_5330.jpg
Views: 3636
Size:  20.8 KB

Old 10-29-15, 04:01 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What do you mean by a dry wall without studs? Do you mean, if you can't find the studs? It sounds like the anchor broke because you hit a stud. Can you post pics, of the wall & the bracket? Make the pics wide angled so that we can see the big picture.

Old 10-29-15, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If you hit a stud, all you need is a suitable screw to go thru the mount/drywall and securely into the stud. Patching and reusing the same spot for an anchor point rarely works well.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 10-29-15, 07:26 AM
T
If there is no stud behind that hole, I would forget about the anchor and use a toggle bolt of the same diameter as the supplied screws. You may have to enlarge the hole a bit. The toggle will have to be inserted through the bracket and re-assembled before mounting. Push the toggle through the hole first then insert your other screws in the other anchors.

Old 10-29-15, 02:00 PM
W
Is there an advantage to using a toggle bolt over a molly screw??

I was leaning towards this solution but I am insure of which is the better way to go.

Old 10-29-15, 02:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A toggle bolt requires a bigger hole but is probably a little stronger.

Have you verified whether or not there is a stud at that location? Screwing into a stud is always preferred.

Old 10-29-15, 03:02 PM
W
There is NOT a stud. I do keep getting that comment a lot though, which even to someone with my limited DIY knowledge I understand. However this specific mount is designed to hold in drywall....and it is well reviewed from a legitimate company. It states supporting up to 40 pounds in drywall. I have a small apartment so where the tv would look look in the room is pretty limited, so studs just aren't an option unfortunately.

Link to mount for reference sake: OmniMount OMF TV Wall Mount Hanger Bracket

Old 10-29-15, 04:35 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
As toolman said, if there is no stud, use a toggle bolt. I would still like to know why the anchor broke & how the drywall stays there with no studs.

Old 10-29-15, 06:19 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Wildwort-Your wall has studs. In the direction you are drilling, the stud is 1.5 inches wide and repeat every 16 inches. Put a screwdriver in the hole where the anchor broke, If it only goes in 0.5 inch, you are hitting a stud, Use a 1.5 inch long drywall screw with the largest diameter to fit thru the TV hanger and screw it to the stud. If the screw driver goes into the hole more than 0.5 inch but less than 3.5 inch you may be hitting an electrical box installed in the wall from the other side. Use a threaded drywall anchor whose length is less than the depth of the obstruction. Use a screw shorter than the drywall anchor length to attach the TV hanger. Good luck

Old 10-30-15, 02:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Use a 1.5 inch long drywall screw with the largest diameter to fit thru the TV hanger and screw it to the stud.
I would agree except for the use of drywall screws. They are not designed for holding weight, only for holding drywall tight to the studs. The heads have a tendency to snap off. Go with a wood screw or deck screw.

Old 10-30-15, 05:40 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd go with a sheet metal screw because wood screws don't have threads all the way to the head,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: