Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What is the best method to trace a 2" x 4" studs in the ceiling

Non-US

10-18-15, 09:58 PM   #1  
What is the best method to trace a 2" x 4" studs in the ceiling

I want to trace the 2 x 4 stud in the ceiling with a chalk line so that it shows a line tracing the stud from one end to the other end on the ceiling. Would using a chalk line work or is there a better method ? I need to expose the studs the entire length from one side where the wall meets the ceiling to the other end again where the wall meets the ceiling.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

VA

10-18-15, 10:40 PM   #2  
Post make little since.
A 2 X 4 in the ceiling is a joist not a stud, studs are vertical.
What is it your really trying to do?

10-19-15, 01:12 AM   #3  
Spend $10 at any hardware store and buy yourself a stud finder. it's a small battery operated tool which will identify where the stud or rafter is behind the drywall or plaster. Mark the ceiling at various intervals from one side to the other, then use a straight edge or chalk-line to connect the dots all the way across.

Non-US

10-24-15, 07:30 PM   #4  
Oh OK thanks for the response. Sorry for the confusion. As for the reason behind locating the overhead joist is so that we can install overhead lighting fixtures. Hope that helps.

Thanks

ME

10-24-15, 07:44 PM   #5  
I chalk line isn't exactly easy to clean up or paint over. How about using painters tape.

Then a stud finder as Andy suggested would be the normal approach.

If you don't want to buy a stud finder, then the "tap tap" approach might work, but it is often difficult to be sure.

Bud

Search this Thread