Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Joining new drywall with old drywall and/or plaster

Old 11-16-15, 02:11 PM

We are remodeling our kitchen. I recently took down one of the sections of bulkhead above the upper kitchen cabinets. I just finished taking care of all of the electrical circuits that had been run diagonally through the bulkhead. I now want to get started on putting drywall over the stud/truss openings - the ceiling in particular as the drafts coming down from the exposed attic are quite chilly here in Michigan! I'd like to get insulation put back over this area.

Where the wall met the bulkhead the current wall surface is some type of gypsum/drywall-like board as the bottom layer, and then a metal screen w/ plaster on top - combined thickness ~1". Where the ceiling met the bulkhead the current ceiling surface is some type of gypsym/drywall-like board as the bottom layer, and then I think plaster (without a metal screen) on top of that. The board layer seems to be ~3/8" and the overall depth at the opening edge is ~3/4".

Looking for any general recommendations on how to take care of this. Should I shim the walls to bring them to the same depth as the ceiling? Should I sand down the edge of the current wall/ceiling to make room for tape and joint compound? If so, to what depth, and how far from the edge should I sand?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-15, 05:12 PM
Add shims to get drywall to come out even.
Simple to just add Lattice to shim it out.

Old 11-16-15, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Use shims where needed, like where its 3/4"... where its 1" you can also just double rock it. Two layers of 1/2" = 1". Use a setting type compound to prefill any nasty gaps or uneven areas before taping. No, you don't need to groove anything. You will just need to feather it out far enough that the joint is no longer visible, treating those seams just like a butt joint.

Old 11-17-15, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Assuming these are plaster walls, I normally the shim the drywall patch just shy of being level with plaster and then finish with a setting compound.