Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing damage in bathroom ceiling

NY

11-20-15, 10:53 AM   #1  
Repairing damage in bathroom ceiling

My upstairs neighbor's bathtub leaked and damaged my ceiling. It's an ongoing toothpulling process to get her insurance to cover the damage. But long story short, I may have to end up doing the repairs myself.

Please see the pic. Do you think I need to cut out the drywall and replace it, or is a repaint sufficient?

Thanks

Name:  20151106_192531.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  11.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-20-15, 11:29 AM   #2  
How solid is the drywall? if you can push your finger into it - it needs to be replaced. How long did the drywall stay wet? the longer it stayed wet the more concern there is that there could be mold - moldy drywall is best replaced.

I'd probably cut out a small section and investigate. All areas that you keep that have water stains must be coated with a solvent based primer to prevent the stain from bleeding thru the finish paint.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

ME

11-20-15, 11:43 AM   #3  
Are you sure that is from a leaking tub? My kids flooded the upstairs bathtub and I had a similar area of water damage, but once it dried it was almost gone, except for the nail pops. But no dark stain. On the other hand, I have removed leaking toilets and that is exactly what the floor looked like, dark stains.

If you are just renting, then Mark's advice above is the path to follow.

Bud

CANADA

11-20-15, 12:33 PM   #4  
All areas that you keep that have water stains must be coated with a solvent based primer to prevent the stain from bleeding thru the finish paint
Hey MarkSr! Long time no talk! Hope all's good.

Have you heard about this new stuff from Zinsser called Bin Advanced? It's a synthetic shellac primer/stain killer. Very low odour and I've heard some really good reviews about it from other painters I really trust. I can't get it around here in Canada, but I understand most paint shops in the US now carry it. Supposedly great for stain sealing, without the odour of oil primer or shellac.

VA

11-20-15, 01:29 PM   #5  
Sure looks like that area may have been repaired before judging by the seams I'm seeing both horizontal and vertical.
It's going to have to be cleaned up, old tape cut out, retaped, primed and repaint at a bare minimum.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-20-15, 01:58 PM   #6  
Hey Bill, it has been awhile

Have you heard about this new stuff from Zinsser called Bin Advanced?
While I've heard of it, I've not used or talked to anyone that has ...... but I'm retired so I don't get around a whole lot

Bud, how dark the stain is depends a lot on how severe or long lasting the leak is although most water stains will be dark [some darker than others] and need a primer.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

11-21-15, 10:24 AM   #7  
According to the plumber the building sent to investigate, there is a crack in the neighbor's bathtub base or something like that. So when she stood in the tub to shower, water leaked down.

I talked to her, and she promised to not shower there until she can order a new bathtub base, and there's been no leak since.

Group Moderator

WI

11-23-15, 10:29 AM   #8  
I certainly wouldn't bother with any repairs until you're sure the leak is resolved.

Search this Thread