Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to fix a small area of 3.5" x 3.5" or smaller

Non-US

03-02-16, 01:54 PM   #1  
how to fix a small area of 3.5" x 3.5" or smaller

hello I have an easy question. how would you fix or patch a small area of drywall that is abut 3.5" x 3.5" in size or smaller. There will be strapping there where the cut out piece of drywall. Should I use a mesh ? If it would be better to use a small drywall piece to replace do I still need to use tapping all around the replaced area of drywall ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

03-02-16, 02:21 PM   #2  
Yes, a small piece of drywall screwed in place would be best and then (paper) tape all sides.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-02-16, 02:26 PM   #3  
The only way to avoid tape would be to cut the replacement piece 3"-4" larger than needed and then back cut the patch piece to fit the hole leaving the face paper using it as the tape. The only time mesh tape is acceptable is when it is covered in a setting compound.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

03-02-16, 02:38 PM   #4  
On a patch this small tape is a hindrance rather that help.
The way I approach it is that the small piece of drywall you are inserting is only meant for a backer for the repair compound. I also make sure that backer is a little recessed.

The chances of cracks appearing on a 4" square patch are slim to none. Push the compound into the gaps on the first coat, skim lightly, and apply additional coats to finish.

Edit: Got in late, Mark's technique is even better.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Non-US

03-03-16, 07:53 PM   #5  
Hello Marksr can you tell me how many inches around the edges of replacement piece do I need to cut out ? Would 1" all the way around work ? So the paper all around should be at least 1" exposed ?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-04-16, 03:39 AM   #6  
You want around an inch of face paper to contact the existing drywall. I generally cut the patch piece about 3" larger than the hole and then remove the excess gypsum and back paper. It doesn't have to be perfect as long as the patch piece fits in the hole and there is enough excess paper to mud onto the existing drywall.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread