Plaster cove rebuild

Old 03-20-16, 08:14 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Plaster cove rebuild

I have a kitchen remodel in a 70 year old house that has about a 17" inside radius crown molding made from plaster and steel lath. We eliminated the original peninsula and the home owner wants to change the crown molding, which means destroying a section and rebuilding it to follow the new cabinets. Can I use drywall mud or hot mud over the lath or should I stick with plaster and do it they way they originally did?

Old 03-20-16, 08:46 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can't answer your question about mud vs plaster, others here probably can. But you may want to look at architectural foam moldings as an alternative if you have more than a small section to fill in. They can match the existing profile exactly and they are trivial to install and finish.

Old 03-20-16, 10:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I agree! a foam or even drywall cove molding is easier for most to work with. Foam molding have the added benefit of being able to be shaved if required.

Old 03-20-16, 04:15 PM
T
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I saw this done with eighth inch Masonite. The contractor installed struts in the wall ceiling angle then installed the Masonite. He used joint mud to feather the joint at the top and bottom of the cove. I like the foam idea if your radius is something close to a stock shape. If you have a special shape cut the set up fee may make Ito too expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: