Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching a plumber's access hole ?

TN

05-19-16, 03:37 PM   #1  
Patching a plumber's access hole ?

hello,

After installing a sink and realizing water was not draining, my plumber (who also did the rough-in) had to cut into the wall to cut out the first elbow. There was a cap in there.

Any ideas on the best way to patch this up after he installs the new drain pipe? I'm considering cutting out a hole in a plastic access panel and using liquid nails to install it onto the drywall.
Thanks in advance!

Name:  WIN_20160519_16_01_39_Pro.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  17.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-19-16, 03:45 PM   #2  
I would square up the hole (plumbers aren't issued squares when they are born) and make an overlay patch, using the paper only for the outer 1" of the sheetrock patch piece as a flap. Mud it in and install your vanity. It will never be seen again.

Name:  patch.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  35.3 KB
Stolen from instructables.com

VA

05-19-16, 03:46 PM   #3  
Why?
Why not shut off the water supply's, remove the valves and do a drywall patch so when done no one would know there was ever a hole there?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-20-16, 03:17 AM   #4  
I'd make the repair like Larry suggested although an alternative would be to insert a piece of wood longer than the hole, screw it to the existing drywall and then screw the patch to that wood. Obviously care would need to be used to avoid hitting any pipes with the screws.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TN

05-20-16, 08:12 AM   #5  
Thank you for the responses guys.
Several good ideas that I hadn't thought of, maybe i'll use them in the future. Since this is behind a cabinet, i'm saving myself some time and swearing and just cutting out a nice piece of 1/4" plywood, screwing/adhering and painting.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread