Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Metal Corner bead for INSIDE corner?

MA

06-01-16, 10:45 AM   #1  
Metal Corner bead for INSIDE corner?

I heard someone say they used metal corner bead on the inside corners of their home and it came out perfectly. I asked if they meant the paper with the metal reinforcement that is used for inside corners and they stated that it was the all metal that you usually apply to the outside corner. They instead flipped it around screwed it on the inside corner and mudded over it. They stated that they did not have to worry about it moving etc. since it was screwed in. Has anyone heard of this? I have never seen this before, but sounds like a disaster as the edges would pop through the mud after awhile.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-01-16, 01:05 PM   #2  
I couldn't understand the insanity of that move. Metal corner beads are specifically bent for outside corners, and would be a bear to install on inside, UNLESS you made big enough goof in the corner to need metal reinforcement.

Group Moderator

NE

06-01-16, 02:01 PM   #3  
Yes, you would need to paper tape over the edges if you were crazy enough to do such a thing.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-01-16, 03:49 PM   #4  
I've only seen metal corner bead install on inside corners once. The hanger didn't install the bead and was told to go back before they'd issue his check. The official report was he was just dumb but I think he did it out of meanness - needless to say that was the first/last house he hung for that company!

I agree with the others that corner bead on an inside corner would mean more work to achieve a similar result. If the drywall is hung correctly it shouldn't be a big deal to get a decent corner finish.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

06-01-16, 04:33 PM   #5  
I remember using a corner bead on an inside corner but not the way the OP means. I don't remember the exact details but it was a situation where space was very tight and I couldn't afford any thickness of framing on the adjacent wall of a corner. I screwed one leg of the bead over the installed rock on the left and put the rock on the right wall over the protruding leg and screwed into that. It was quite solid.

Search this Thread