Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How to fix this damaged section of drywall

Old 07-02-16, 08:37 PM

Hello. We just moved into a new place and the landlord has no time to fix the drywall. It seems to have to areas which the drywall is pushed in like a dent on a car. From the photo it can be seen that the drywall has a vertical line crack which also needs to fixed. I can cut out this vertical section and spackle over. I would like to know more how to fix the dent ? Would just spackling do the job even though the dent is a fairly big area when moving your hand over.

Name:  IMG-20160702-00268.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  16.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-16, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Have you cleared this with the landlord yet?

Old 07-03-16, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and I'm not sure there is a need to cut anything out unless there is loose tape [only the loose tape would be removed. Spackling is just for minor repairs, it might require joint compound. Be sure to get permission and keep the landlord in the loop or he can make you pay for the repair to be professionally redone

Old 07-03-16, 05:21 AM
The discoloration looks like moisture damage which will simply return if not addressed. Being a rental, with permission, an attempt to repair will at least get you by for awhile. Once new joint compound (JC) has been applied and dry you will want to seal that area before the new paint.

Keep it flat without adding too much JC. Applying several extremely thin layers will keep you out of trouble. Don't try to fill the entire area in one application.

Bud

Old 07-03-16, 10:00 AM
Thanks to everyone. Yes we are OK in repairing the damage and thanks to Bud it's good that there is no need to cut out any drywall sections. Thanks again everyone.

Old 07-03-16, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
As long as the area is solid, meaning it doesn't give easily when you push on it, I would fill with joint compound as advised. If it gives, you may need to replace some of the drywall first.