Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster blown and unsure how to repair wiring chase

07-06-16, 03:13 PM   #1  
Plaster blown and unsure how to repair wiring chase

Hi all,

I had a socket installed but the electrician left the chased opening in the wall. Attempted to fill it with Deep Gap Polyfiller (although i hear bonding may have been more suitable) but it's not really drying.

In addition, it seems that some of the area's plaster is blown.

Does anyone know how to repair this properly?

1. Should i keep peeling where the plaster is blown (how much to take off) or will all the skimming come off the whole wall if i keep going?
2. do i need to re-do the patching in of the chasing?

Thanks

Now
Name:  4A.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  4B.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  23.8 KB

After chasing and before patching
Name:  4C.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  4D.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  16.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-07-16 at 07:05 PM. Reason: removed duplicate pics

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-07-16, 03:11 AM   #2  
I've never used that filler but if it was applied too thick that could drastically slow down the drying time.

While it's best to remove any loose plaster you don't want to just scrape until it doesn't come off as that might remove the plaster from a very large area It's pretty much a judgement call as to where to stop but mainly you don't want to leave plaster that sounds hollow underneath.

I'd use a setting compound like Durabond to finish the repairs. Be sure to apply it neatly as it can be bear to sand!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

MN

07-07-16, 06:54 PM   #3  
Based on your outlet configuration I can see you are not from the US so it can be tough to make suggestions without knowing your location and what products you have available.

Most plaster repair I use structo-lite https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/e...t-plaster.html for the base coat and then standard easy sand joint compound for the finishing coats. You could use Durabond as well. Both Structo-Lite and Dura bond cure, they do not dry, and are very hard to sand, which is why I use joint compound for the final coats.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

Search this Thread