Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How should I fix this crack in the drywall ?

Non-US

07-10-16, 08:32 PM   #1  
How should I fix this crack in the drywall ?

Hello how would I fix this crack line in the drywall ? Should I use tape over the crack or just use mud over the crack ?

Name:  IMG-20160710-00296.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  11.2 KBName:  IMG-20160710-00295.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  14.5 KB

Sponsored Links

NY

07-11-16, 03:50 AM   #2  
Others here are experts on this item and may chime in if my answer is off. Is the crack new? Or is it old and static. In other words is it currently caused by shifting or vibration. If not I would just use an ordinary spackling patch such as UGL 222 or LITE. I would also sand down the surrounding paint area to allow the spackling to adhere. If settling or vibration caused this to recently appear then you need to find the cause and fix it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-11-16, 04:10 AM   #3  
The odds are the crack will reappear if you just spackle it. It would be better to mud and tape it like you would for a seam when finishing new drywall. That does make for a wider repair that could use a light texture to mimic the orange peel from multiple coats of rolled on paint.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Non-US

07-11-16, 09:47 PM   #4  
@marksr and @Norm01 thanks. The crack is old was here when we moved in and yup we have permission from the landlord to fix it. The crack seems to caused by pressure applied to the wall as both cracks seem to open up once you apply pressure to the middle area of the drywall separating both cracks. So tape would be best applied to both cracks according to marksr yes ? I understand that the photo did not show the other crack that runs parallel to the other one shown in the picture.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-12-16, 03:46 AM   #5  
I'd scuff sand those areas, apply joint compound and tape. That should assure that the crack won't reappear. The tape will compensate for minor movement in the wall. Paper tape does a better job than the mesh 'sticky' tape!

Non-US

07-12-16, 07:58 PM   #6  
Thanks everyone but I have one last question. I just finished applying the tape and I'm using 24 hour drying ready mix compound and I've got a fan working and want to know will the fan reduce the time to dry and if yes by how much time will it reduce the dry time ?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-16, 03:02 AM   #7  
Air circulation will speed up the drying time but it's hard to say by how much. A lot is dependent on both how thick it was applied and the humidity. If the mud is still dark it has longer to dry but if it's all turned white - you can recoat anytime.

Search this Thread