Cabinet door hinge anchors ripped out


Old 08-02-16, 07:01 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Cabinet door hinge anchors ripped out

Hi, I have an Ikea kitchen, came with the apartment. Anyway one of the cabinet hinges ripped right out. I removed the other properly to avoid damaging it. Now I'm left with two big holes where the hinge used to be. How does one go about fixing this? I could try putting it but I feel like it will just come out again in a few days. Is there a type of material or product I can use to fill the wholes to make them more solid? Moving to lower wholes is not really an option since it won't line up with the cabinet door. Thanks.

I've attached some photos, sorry the lighting is not great but I think you'll get the idea.
Name:  20160802_153709.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  10.2 KBName:  20160802_153756.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  18.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-16, 07:12 AM
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,138
If there is room behind that panel and the opposite side isn't exposed, you could use a snap toggler or toggler style anchor Toggler & Wej-It Fastening Systems - the original wedge anchor
You may have to use a different screw than the original ones.

If you can't use one of those anchors, I would recommend an epoxy filler such as WoodEpox. Fill in the hole and divot, let it set up completely, and then redrill the correct diameter hole.
Old 08-02-16, 08:05 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,979
Agree with epoxy. But I would use a JB Weld product instead of wood filler.
Old 08-02-16, 08:15 AM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 7,824
I always use wood kitchen matches and wood glue. Put glue on match stick and put in hole. stuff as many matches in as you can. I usually hammer in the last one. Let glue dry and redrill hole.
Old 08-02-16, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,842
I also have used small pieces of wood and glue. If feasible I'd replace that panel with real plywood.
Old 08-02-16, 10:49 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks for your advice. I'll probably try the epoxy.
Old 08-02-16, 10:56 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,392

Remove the plastic screw anchors from the screws and glue them into the holes. Let the glue harden. Install the hinges using the screws screwed into the anchors.
Old 08-02-16, 10:57 AM
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 486
What's behind the panel? Is it flush against a wall? How much clearance is there?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes