Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Help with drywall repair - cracks around window frame and sill

Old 08-07-16, 10:07 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi there - first time poster and my latest project... The pictures should speak for themselves. Any great ideas on the best way to repair these issues? The cracks in the lower and upper left side window are where the trim molding has raised slightly so it is not flush. I'm thinking some compound and tape but worried it won't turn out flush with the rest of the wall. Thanks in advance!
Name:  img_6764.jpg
Views: 3239
Size:  18.3 KBName:  img_6765.jpg
Views: 3957
Size:  18.2 KBName:  img_6766.jpg
Views: 3017
Size:  13.3 KBName:  img_6767.jpg
Views: 3843
Size:  23.2 KBName:  img_6768.jpg
Views: 4100
Size:  24.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-16, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd tape and mud the drywall return, caulk the molding and on the wall itself I'd be tempted to smear a little caulk in the crack using a wet rag/sponge to remove the excess. That way you won't have to retexture the repair to make it blend.

Old 08-19-16, 01:02 PM
M
My Crack Repair Results

Here are some 'after' shots of my repairs... I just put a coat of primer on but still have to texture, caulk around some seams then paint. I think it turned out pretty good compared to how it initially looked Name:  Bathroom Repair_after (1).jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  15.7 KBName:  Bathroom Repair_after (2).jpg
Views: 5712
Size:  18.8 KBName:  Bathroom Repair_after (3).jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  9.8 KBName:  Bathroom Repair_after (4).jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  10.7 KB

Old 08-24-16, 11:36 PM
M
experiment in texturing trying to match existing orange peel

so this was the best I could come up using a recipe / mixture of joint compound, primer and a tad of water... trying to match my drywall repair with the existing 'orange peel' texture (1 part lite setting joint compound-1/2 primer-a bit of water). Not perfect by any means but hoping the coat of eggshell latex will cover up all those perfect imperfections. The synthetic sponge in the corner was perfect for dolloping on the mix and the swim noodles cut in slices to pound down the dollops worked good. Once it started to dry I skimmed over it with the knives to knock it down. (did not want to use the box store spray can texture method -i repaired probably 15 nail pops, small hairline cracks - walls and ceiling and was not looking forward to the mess and unpredictable results from a spray can). Final paint goes on in a few days. 90% prep - 10% painting time...Name:  IMG_6816.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  24.5 KBName:  IMG_6819.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  19.9 KBName:  IMG_6813.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  32.9 KB

Old 08-25-16, 04:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks good
For most it doesn't have to be perfect, having texture that is close is miles ahead of no texture at all.

I get fussed at when I leave tools/material on the counter

Old 08-25-16, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 637 Votes on 589 Posts
I get fussed at when I leave tools/material on the counter
How about when you don't clean the spatter off the sink? LOL

Old 08-25-16, 04:26 PM
That's a really good patch job. I have seen repair work done by tradesmen that didn't even come close to that.
You are correct in that "real" mud works much better than any spray texture.

Old 08-25-16, 11:22 PM
M
homemade texture on drywall repairs

@Handyone - thanks for the compliment - I needed that . The aerosol spray stuff is getting returned unused - I like my recipe better and much more accurate / controllable.

Good thing is, it if goes on too coarse I can always knock it down with a putty knife to desired texture and height once it starts to set up. A sanding sponge also helps to feather into the existing texture. My wife sayS I am "taking too long"... Oh well - first time doing this - lessons learned.

A couple more pictures of the homemade texture results. The repairs were areas that were sanded smooth with mud.. Texture added and ready to paint.

Name:  texture_2.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  18.0 KB
Name:  texture_1.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  22.0 KB

Old 08-26-16, 08:09 AM
Just a tip for anyone that does a lot of patching.
The hand pump texture guns work very good to match texture, they let you spray mud instead of the aerosol watered down stuff.
They are pricey, maybe $200-$300.

Name:  texturepump.JPG
Views: 1758
Size:  15.2 KB

Old 08-26-16, 08:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For probably less money you could buy a hopper gun and a tankless diaphragm compressor. I haven't used one in a long time but they work well for spraying texture on patches. They also sell an airless type hopper gun but they are kind of heavy and noisy, don't remember what they cost. If the patch isn't conducive to using a sponge I use an air compressor and hopper gun. IMO the hand pump type texture guns as pictured are too hard to get an even texture with as you have to be consistent with pushing in the handle.