Texturing finish question

Old 08-14-16, 12:51 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Texturing finish question

Hello All:
I am at the tape and bed stage of my house and have a question. I know to apply mud three times while sanding, I'm on my second coat using a larger knife each time. I will be aping heavy texture with a crows foot brush. My question is do I need to apply my mud, feather and sand like I was going to paint it smooth. or would I have to sand it all down perfectly, since I am going to just slap heavy texture of it anyway. Your opinions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Neal

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-16, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I assume this is a ceiling ?

Texture will hide imperfections but may not hide everything. Whether or not to sand it depends on how well it was applied. You do want any ridges knocked down and the drywall should be level before you apply the texture.

When applying a stomp texture I like to thin the j/c some, roll it on and then use the brush to make the texture.

Old 08-14-16, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would sand and feather the edges. You don't want to be surprised they show through later.

You shouldn't have to do a lot of sanding, the first and second coats should only require scraping.

Old 08-15-16, 08:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yes, the texture will hide some imperfections that would show on a smooth wall but it's a whole lot easier now, IMO, to make sure the tape and mud job is good than get the texture on and realize it was not.