Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Baseboad installation on a plaster & lath wall

WA

08-29-16, 02:55 PM   #1  
Baseboad installation on a plaster & lath wall

I'm doing some repairs on a 150 year old house in the area. I've done a fair bit of home repair, but not much with plaster & lath. I need to install baseboard trim on 2 walls, but I'm not sure how to nail it to the wall, specifically, how to locate & hit the "studs" behind the laths. I've recently repaired & refitted a mantel in this house, and there are vertical "studs", but I'm not sure how uniformly they're placed, and they are oriented differently than with drywall (the wide edge faces the room, rather than the narrow edge). I have a stud finder, but I'm guessing this won't work, with the laths all across the wall. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan

Sponsored Links

MA

08-29-16, 04:23 PM   #2  
There are stud finders that will do a 'deep' scan. I tested one on a floor and it was able to pick up the floor joists under the 3/4" plywood. You could also drill small holes along the bottom of the wall that will eventually be covered by the baseboard.

Non-US

08-30-16, 07:26 AM   #3  
The flooring guy who came by the other day said they're just glueing them for the most part

CAL

08-30-16, 04:51 PM   #4  
I think shooting the fasteners causes less damage to plaster than driving finish nails with a hammer. JMO

Group Moderator

WI

08-30-16, 06:20 PM   #5  
I shoot the fasteners myself but I have drywall, no experience with how the process might be different with plaster.

Group Moderator

NJ

08-30-16, 06:21 PM   #6  
I agree.... use a finishing nail gun. With the gun it's not imperative to catch studs.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread