Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I need to patch up some cracks and crevices.

SC

09-05-16, 06:25 PM   #1  
I need to patch up some cracks and crevices.

Hello. I need recommendations on some kind of stuff that can be used to patch up cracks and crevices. Especially the cracks where the ceiling meets the wall. Every once in a while, a spider comes out of those cracks and always manages land on or near my keyboard. This is why I absolutely can not stand critters. Raid seems to work for a short time. This is why I need a long-term / permanent solution to this problem. Any recommendations on whatever I can use to patch up these cracks would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

09-05-16, 06:57 PM   #2  
If they are small (narrow) cracks, just fill with paintable latex caulk. This works well at ceiling/wall junction as it can tolerate a little movement.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-06-16, 02:44 AM   #3  
I agree that caulk is generally best at the interior corner where 2 walls meet or the ceiling and wall intersect. A damp rag/sponge can be helpful in smoothing out the caulk and removing any excess. Any cracks/crevices elsewhere are best filled with joint compound, some cracks may require drywall tape.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

SC

09-06-16, 08:49 AM   #4  
Ok. These are some great suggestions. I will try them. Thanks!

09-27-16, 10:45 PM   #5  
Hi Sanizo,
Most patching is best done with a cornice adhesive and some plastering tape. Most cornice adhesive sets quite quickly and can be reasonably resilient. Once you have applied the cornice adhesive to patch the crack and you have sand it back smooth you can also apply some plastering tape to strengthen the join (keeping those spiders out). From there simply prep and paint.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-28-16, 03:10 AM   #6  
Most patching is best done with a cornice adhesive and some plastering tape
While I've never heard those terms I assume it's the same as joint compound and paper drywall tape. The main reason we didn't recommend that type of repair is it involves a lot more work. If the ceiling is white often you can get by without painting the caulking. Taping the joint requires multiple coats of mud, possibly texture and both the ceiling and wall paint needs to be touched up.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

09-28-16, 07:12 AM   #7  
That post came from Australia, so it might be different terms but it might also be different products.

Search this Thread