Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

I need to patch up some cracks and crevices.

Old 09-05-16, 06:25 PM

Hello. I need recommendations on some kind of stuff that can be used to patch up cracks and crevices. Especially the cracks where the ceiling meets the wall. Every once in a while, a spider comes out of those cracks and always manages land on or near my keyboard. This is why I absolutely can not stand critters. Raid seems to work for a short time. This is why I need a long-term / permanent solution to this problem. Any recommendations on whatever I can use to patch up these cracks would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-16, 06:57 PM
If they are small (narrow) cracks, just fill with paintable latex caulk. This works well at ceiling/wall junction as it can tolerate a little movement.

Old 09-06-16, 02:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that caulk is generally best at the interior corner where 2 walls meet or the ceiling and wall intersect. A damp rag/sponge can be helpful in smoothing out the caulk and removing any excess. Any cracks/crevices elsewhere are best filled with joint compound, some cracks may require drywall tape.

Old 09-06-16, 08:49 AM
Ok. These are some great suggestions. I will try them. Thanks!

Old 09-27-16, 10:45 PM
Hi Sanizo,
Most patching is best done with a cornice adhesive and some plastering tape. Most cornice adhesive sets quite quickly and can be reasonably resilient. Once you have applied the cornice adhesive to patch the crack and you have sand it back smooth you can also apply some plastering tape to strengthen the join (keeping those spiders out). From there simply prep and paint.

Old 09-28-16, 03:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most patching is best done with a cornice adhesive and some plastering tape
While I've never heard those terms I assume it's the same as joint compound and paper drywall tape. The main reason we didn't recommend that type of repair is it involves a lot more work. If the ceiling is white often you can get by without painting the caulking. Taping the joint requires multiple coats of mud, possibly texture and both the ceiling and wall paint needs to be touched up.

Old 09-28-16, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
That post came from Australia, so it might be different terms but it might also be different products.