Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall repair with only one stud nearby

NC

09-12-16, 12:41 PM   #1  
Drywall repair with only one stud nearby

So I had to fix a pipe in the wall behind our stove. The hole cut is right up against the cabinet on the left side. I read on another post that using a piece of scrap plywood and affixing it to the existing drywall would work for creating a place to screw in the new piece of drywall.

But since the hole is right up against the cabinet on one side, I can't affix the plywood anywhere on the left side. Is there another suggestion for getting drywall screws to affix when putting in a new piece?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-12-16, 12:58 PM   #2  
Can you insert a piece of wood longer than hole and screw it top/bottom to the existing drywall?
Pics would give us a better idea of what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

09-12-16, 01:01 PM   #3  
Exactly as Mark said - anchor it to the existing drywall above and below the hole.

NC

09-12-16, 01:06 PM   #4  
Above shouldn't be a problem, but I'm at the floor for the bottom. Sorry, not home or I'd attach a better photo Name:  photo0.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  28.2 KB

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-12-16, 01:09 PM   #5  
I'd insert a 2x4, toe nailed to the bottom plate and screwed to the drywall at the top.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

09-12-16, 01:10 PM   #6  
So is the base plate of the wall available?

NC

09-12-16, 01:24 PM   #7  
I'm not sure. I'd have to check.

CAL

09-12-16, 03:13 PM   #8  
Does the cabinet have a plywood back? If so you probably do not want to screw through it. If not then it is just like a hole in the middle of a wall. Screw a piece of plywood longer than the hole and wide enough to get a bite inside the closet and leave some in the hole to screw a new piece to.
Or use a stud and make it longer than the hole and toenail it at the bottom. And if you do this it does not have to be tight to the left edge of the hole. It can be away a little to make it easier to get to.
Or use a "Z" channel slipped between the back side of the cabinet and the drywall behind it and screw to that. In the future when you or someone removes the cabinet. That strip of metal will have to be dealt with but then it is out in the open easy to complete the fix again.
Or use a piece of steel stud track cut it longer than the hole by enough to go above the hole on the top and enough to cut it to bend it like an "L" to slip over the base plate.
Or get some Instabacks. (Google it so you know what they look like.) Use them backward. The little tabs that are intended to hold the clip in place will be behind the cabinet. This is not a very strong installation but if you use several they will hold pretty well. Sometime in the future when the cabinet is removed screws can be added to hold the left side of the clip and the tabs bent off.
Or if you can't get a toenail in drive some nails or screws into the bottom plate such that they give some support to a nailer to keep it from pushing in when you screw to it. This is also not as strong as some other ways but might work if this patch is not subject to being kicked in.
Or it looks to me like maybe the stud is pretty close on the left and you can just nail a piece of 2 X 4 on to it and get enough to screw a new piece to. I can't tell with the insulation in the way.

Sometimes the ideas just come into my head and come flying out my fingers. I am not saying I have done all of these things and I am not going to tell you which I have and have not. But they come to mind.

This kind of operation will give you an opportunity to practice ingenuity.
I hope you can find scraps somewhere to get your nailers. Then if one does not work you are out little or nothing to try something else.

Last edited by tightcoat; 09-12-16 at 03:46 PM.

NC

09-12-16, 06:26 PM   #9  
There isn't a cabinet missing. That space is actually where the stove goes. Thanks for all the recommendations. Not sure I understand them all as my knowledge isn't vast, but they certainly open up the options.

Search this Thread