Skimming or removing texture?

Old 11-30-16, 11:31 PM
Skimming or removing texture?

So recently I decided to start repairing the Drywall tape that had been falling apart from the ceiling and the wall, as I started to peel the tape I noticed the entire paint job even from previous years started to peel off. I soon ended up with no paint on my walls (attached picture) and was wondering on how to take on this. Should I remove the texture with a scraper and then cover it with Gardz sealant and then Skim it with joint compound? or should I leave the texture and go straight to Skimming the walls? I'm just a bit worried that the the drywall will start peeling once I try to skim it or even paint it. Any help?

NOTE: I'm a beginner at doing this and this will be my 2nd attempt on doing this type of project.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-16, 03:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

It's always best to remove the texture first but as long as the texture is sound it's ok to skim coat over it. I'm a little confused by the pic was that drywall previously painted? If all the paint peeled off it's likely someone painted the wall without removing the sanding dust first

Old 12-01-16, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
I'm just a bit worried that the the drywall will start peeling
Not sure what that means....

Gardz is meant to seal exposed gypsum so it does not absorb the moisture from the joint compound when you skim coat. If the paper on the drywall is not damaged to expose the gypsum, Gardz is not needed.

As Mark said, not have dust, dirt or other debris on the drywall is important.