Fixing Plaster Cracks and Uneven Walls

Old 01-12-17, 04:58 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing Plaster Cracks and Uneven Walls

I'm remodeling our dining room, the house was built in 1924 and I'm dealing with a few areas that have uneven walls and hairline cracks. The plaster is firm onto the lath, so I'm considering roughing up all the walls with a 150 grit paper, priming all with kilz oil, and leveling out the trouble areas with a wide knife and easysand 90 (faster drying time isn't required). Any thoughts? The areas I need to level out aren't particularly extensive or deep, just wondering if my process sounds OK. I'm not looking to make the plaster walls as picture perfect and as smooth as drywall, just make the dips in the wall less noticeable when I paint (I'm using an eggshell-satin finish to match an adjoining room). I spent a few days removing the wallpaper the previous owners installed (vertical stripes to hide the flaws) and we do not want to re-wallpaper.

For cracks I'm unsure of the best method. I've used fibafuse tape in other rooms and have some left over, so I'll use it on this project..should I embed the tape on the cracks using green lid, or should I use the easysand? I realize the green lid is easier to sand, and the cracks really are hairline so I'm wondering if easysand for the cracks is overkill?

Old 01-12-17, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 424 Votes on 379 Posts
I generally scratch out the cracks and then fill them with durabond [or easysand] and have had good results without needing tape. If you use regular pre mix mud you must tape!

Old 01-12-17, 06:43 AM
A
Thanks marksr! I'm concerned what tool to use to widen up the cracks. I don't want to put to much pressure on the surface as the plaster is over 80 years old. How wide do the cracks have to be to get the job done?

Old 01-12-17, 08:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You just need to scratch out a little V, gives the setting compound more surface area to bond to. Just mudding over the crack often results in the crack reappearing.

Old 01-17-17, 04:57 AM
A
A question before I continue and perhaps add more work to this than I need to. Stripping the wallpaper left the old glue on the walls. I used a rough grit sandpaper on my palm sander to clean off the residue and to rough up the paint to accept the primer better. With the wall roughed up, do I need to prime everything before I begin my filling? I will be priming the whole room after I've made all my patches anyway, seems like an added step to prime the entire room twice. I can see the logic in priming the areas I'm going to be patching/filling/levelling..particularly the areas where I've scratched the plaster open and the many holes and areas I need to level..any thoughts?

Old 01-17-17, 05:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Whenever ALL the wallpaper paste isn't removed from the wall it's best to coat the wall with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz. That locks down the adhesive so it doesn't become an issue with either the joint compound or paint/primer. Obviously the j/c will also need priming but most any latex primer will suffice for that.

Old 01-17-17, 05:25 AM
A
Darn..OK better safe than sorry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: