wavy seams in drywall - can I fix them?

Old 01-22-17, 07:08 PM
wavy seams in drywall - can I fix them?

Hi all! I tried my hand at drywall for the first time a few weeks ago. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out! But there is one seam in particular where I can see visible waviness and I'm not sure what's causing it (maybe air bubbles in the tape?)

Is there a way to fix this? I've already primed and painted the walls (didn't notice it until it was painted unfortunately). Is it worth the effort to try to fix it or should I just strategically hang paintings? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-17, 07:59 PM
Give us a photo so we can offer better advice. It helps to hold a light to the side to give a good picture of the texture...

You can always fix sheetrock problems, whether it is easy or hard depends on the exact problem.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-23-17, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bubbles in the tape will only show where the tape is and can usually be pushed in some [will pop back out] The only way to fix them is to cut out the bubble. Another possibility is either the final coats of mud wasn't applied evenly or feathered out far enough. Pics would be helpful!

Some defects won't be noticeable [or as much] once curtains and pics are hung and furniture is back in place BUT it's always nice to get the drywall/paint as good as you can

Old 01-23-17, 07:57 AM
Ok, here's a picture - it's a little tough to get the texture in the picture but hopefully you can tell. I tried pushing on the bumps and they don't pop in/out or move at all. So maybe it's compound, not the tape. Name:  20170123_085700.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  14.7 KB

Old 01-23-17, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it doesn't give any it's likely not an air bubble. I'd mud over it, sand smooth and thin a little j/c to replicate the texture.

Old 02-20-17, 10:33 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for your help on this marksr! You were both right and fixing it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did as you described and it now looks great - can't tell there was ever an issue Thank you!!

Old 02-20-17, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed, thanks for the update.