Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Advice for fixing this area of rock lath plaster...

Old 01-28-17, 04:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've never done plaster repair, so looking for advice on how to fix this. Under a window I have two cracks that go down to the floor. Also had the top coat de-laminate due to a past moisture problem from the window. I've scraped off the loose skim coat. Should I remove more skim coat? Can I use "Easy Sand" setting compound to patch the skim coat, or does something like Durabond need to be used? What should I do about the cracks? Here's some pics...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-17, 04:19 PM
S
Forgot to mention that the crack on the left expands and contracts enough to be noticed. When warm in the summer, it closes up a little.

Old 01-28-17, 05:40 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
looks like there is a little mold at the top of what you scraped. Hit it with a little bleach solution let it dry, wire brush it a little and hit it with the bleach again and let it dry.
EasySand is a good fix for this. Spread on a nice even coat the same thickness as the original finish. Don't lap over the existing finish. Keep it clean.
Just as the mud sets mist it with a hand sprayer and trowel it smooth. You should be able to trowel it down so it is as smooth as what is there and so it ends up exactly even with what is there. If you do this and are not happy with it then a coat or two of regular joint mud and sand, inspect, touch up, sand, inspect, touch up, prime, inspect, touch up, sand, inspect, prime and paint.
If you can find a stud near the flexinsg crack a few screws might tighten it up. You can spot the screws when you do the other work.

Old 01-28-17, 05:56 PM
S
How do I fill the cracks? Should I bevel them deeper or wider or?

Thank you.

Old 01-29-17, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I like to 'scratch' open the crack slightly with the edge of my putty knife, a screwdriver also works well.

Old 01-29-17, 05:34 PM
S

Old 01-29-17, 05:45 PM
S
I must of mixed the EZ Sand a little too wet? It shrunk a good amount. Will do a 2nd coat tomorrow. Will switch to joint compound on the 3rd coat so it all can be sanded smooth easily.

Old 02-25-17, 09:12 AM
S
Forgot to update. The repair came out really nice! 2 coats of the setting compound, then about 3 skim coats of joint compound til I was satisfied it was perfectly smooth. Thanks to those that offered help!

Name:  m_IMG_6550b.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  21.5 KBName:  m_IMG_6551b.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 02-25-17, 09:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Looks good, thanks for the updates.

Old 02-25-17, 10:52 AM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Well done. Thanks for the update. We like it when we see the results of our advice.