Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Need 2nd coat of EasySand over EasySand..do I need to prime?

Old 02-20-17, 03:55 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So filling cracks and smoothing out dents in my plaster wall. First step was to widen hairline cracks and remove loose material. Second was to prime area using Kilz oil base. I then applied the EasySand. Now it looks like I'll need a second application of either EasySand or green lid. Do I need to prime the EasySand areas again if I apply EasySand or green lid on it?

Wondering if it would be better to use green lid as the next coat as opposed to EasySand, just because of the ease in sanding and finishing.

I know that I'll need to prime the areas before painting..just trying to avoid using that oil based kilz as much as I can. It stinks..and I'd like to use the same primer for the entire job.

Old 02-20-17, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
The easy sand is a setting compound and is usually all you need for holes and boogers. But once your holes are filled and sanded, you may go back over with a thinned joint compound, feathering it out with a 12" knife. Don't prime anything until all your sanding is done. Priming makes sanding a tedious process. For small button indentations, you may want to use DryDex. It goes on pink and dries white, and sands easily.

Old 02-20-17, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 423 Votes on 378 Posts
No need to prime until the repairs are finished ... and then latex primer is fine. Using ready mix joint compound for the final coat will make sanding easier although another coat of EasySand is ok.

Old 02-20-17, 04:50 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
And when you prime, put down 2 coats feathered out onto the existing wall.

Without two heavy coats that smooth flat sanded patch job will stand out like a soar thumb!

Old 02-20-17, 04:57 AM
A
My problem with the easysand is twofold. One is that after I've filled cracks and the compound has dried, there is a usually a slight trough that I need to fill. The second problem is that I'm not an expert at putting the stuff on my work usually needs some sanding to smooth out overlap marks from my knife, and then I'll usually need to apply a second application for my final coat.

I use DryDex, it's nice stuff. I recall my thoughts before trying it that the pink to white was kind of gimmicky, but I used it on filling imperfections in my crown molding and I found the change of color invaluable because my crown molding is white, and the pink color lets me see exactly where I've applied it, and where I haven't.

I'd like to use the green lid on top of my cured easysand. Just to clarify, I'm OK to apply the green lid right on top of the easysand without primer on the easysand first?

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-20-17, 05:05 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
You only need primer when complete.

You could get away with just one of those products, no need to have multiple tubs of drywall compound sitting around drying out.

Old 02-20-17, 05:08 AM
A
Marksr, so I can do my final priming using latex on top of the oil with no problem? That would be great..took alot of heat for stinking up the house with that oil kilz!

Old 02-20-17, 05:13 AM
A
I like the hot mud for its durability, but I like the readymix and easier sanding qualities of the green lid, so I think I'll do my primary fill with the easysand and then do a topcoat of green lid. Then, prime the wall again with latex primer.

Old 02-20-17, 06:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 423 Votes on 378 Posts
You can use any color lid mud over the EasySand. The green lid is all purpose mud and has more adhesive properties than the light weight muds.

Most any latex paint will adhere fine over top of most any oil base primer. IMO the finished repair only needs 1 coat of primer. If the repair is going to stick out it's either because the repair wasn't done correctly or it needs texture before priming/painting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: