Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stick drywall in here or not?

CAL

03-05-17, 04:45 PM   #1  
Stick drywall in here or not?

Are there ever turns in the wall that are so small that you just apply joint compound over the wood instead of cutting a narrow strip of drywall? Or would it crack and chip when applied directly against the wood? This picture is the inside of a closet. I was planning on applying drywall everywhere except the 2" strip which faces inside of the closet. Obviously I will be applying drywall corner strips. Name:  IMG_1963.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  29.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

03-05-17, 04:49 PM   #2  
You need sheetrock there.

~ Pete ~

MI

03-06-17, 02:45 AM   #3  
Is there some type of trim that will be going around the opening like a window, or is this opening between rooms. Either way a 2" piece is acceptable, how it's finished will depend on what the opening is.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-06-17, 02:56 AM   #4  
It needs drywall! If you apply joint compound directly to the wood it is apt to crack and fall off.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

03-27-17, 09:49 PM   #5  
UPDATE: Got that corner done with drywall. A new problem has arose. Long story short is that I need to add about 3/16th of an inch of space at the top of a closet entry way in order to fit some sliding closet doors. I already tried 1/4" drywall at the top. Not enough space. So I was thinking I'd slap some seam tape up against the wood up there, then screw on the corners, the apply joint compound. Lastly I will be screwing on a long rail for the sliding doors. Joint tape ought to suffice right?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-28-17, 03:27 AM   #6  
IMO it would be better to shim the door track as needed and then but the drywall up to the track.
or trim it out with wood.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread