Stick drywall in here or not?

Old 03-05-17, 04:45 PM
Stick drywall in here or not?

Are there ever turns in the wall that are so small that you just apply joint compound over the wood instead of cutting a narrow strip of drywall? Or would it crack and chip when applied directly against the wood? This picture is the inside of a closet. I was planning on applying drywall everywhere except the 2" strip which faces inside of the closet. Obviously I will be applying drywall corner strips. Name:  IMG_1963.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  29.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-17, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
You need sheetrock there.

Old 03-06-17, 02:45 AM
Is there some type of trim that will be going around the opening like a window, or is this opening between rooms. Either way a 2" piece is acceptable, how it's finished will depend on what the opening is.

Old 03-06-17, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It needs drywall! If you apply joint compound directly to the wood it is apt to crack and fall off.

Old 03-27-17, 09:49 PM
UPDATE: Got that corner done with drywall. A new problem has arose. Long story short is that I need to add about 3/16th of an inch of space at the top of a closet entry way in order to fit some sliding closet doors. I already tried 1/4" drywall at the top. Not enough space. So I was thinking I'd slap some seam tape up against the wood up there, then screw on the corners, the apply joint compound. Lastly I will be screwing on a long rail for the sliding doors. Joint tape ought to suffice right?

Old 03-28-17, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO it would be better to shim the door track as needed and then but the drywall up to the track.
or trim it out with wood.