Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Cutting into old plaster walls for a cable?

Old 07-26-17, 06:31 PM
D
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to relocate some electric cables and my only choice is to embed them in a plaster wall. I've done the research and it's perfectly code compliant to run mx cable through the plaster wall and it's just the right diameter so it can be plastered over.

I was thinking that I would use an angle grinder to cut the channel but I'm now worried about the dust and potential asbestos. I have a lot of other plaster work to be done in the room by a plaster sub. So I'm wondering if I just chip it out with a masons chisel instead. It won't be pretty but the plasterer I hope can clean it all up.

any suggestions for how best to do this without making too much of a mess?

Old 07-26-17, 06:36 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about wire mold? Run the cables outside the wall & cover it with wire mold.

Old 07-26-17, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 630 Likes on 539 Posts
I've done the research and it's perfectly code compliant to run mx cable
I am not sure what MX cable is but I know that MC cable must be protected from damage. That means it is required to be 1 1/4" away from the nailing face of a framing member, or protected with nail plates. Somebody could easily pound a nail through a cable that is just buried below the surface of the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: