Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

one more drywall question

NJ

11-20-17, 07:57 AM   #1  
one more drywall question

drywall up and taped- 3 coats of mud and sanded (as best I can for a beginner) Looks pretty good but some small areas I can't hide every little area where it's not perfect. What is the best thing to put on the drywall/mud as a primer? Is there a recommended project that is better at hiding some flaws before paint?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

11-20-17, 08:13 AM   #2  
What do you mean by not perfect? If you run your hand over it, does it feel smooth or rough? Some pics might help.

Group Moderator

WI

11-20-17, 08:14 AM   #3  
Have to fix this first, paint often makes imperfections MORE obvious rather than hide them.

Group Moderator

NE

11-20-17, 08:16 AM   #4  
Paint does not "hide flaws". Primer will make your flaws more obvious, so if you are hot to prime that's fine but expect to go back and fix all the areas that you can see through the primer. Use a bright light to help. Even a newbie can usually do a good job taping, it just takes more skim coats to get there.

NJ

11-20-17, 08:34 AM   #5  
thanks- no i realize some will bleed thru..... I still have some skimming to do- I just wasn't sure if there was any product to put directly on the drywall before paint- or should I just paint it?

Group Moderator

WI

11-20-17, 08:59 AM   #6  
Yes, you should use a latex primer before painting.

Anything from Zinsser would be fine.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-20-17, 09:30 AM   #7  
Inspect the wall as you apply the primer. While the primer is wet it will highlight any defects in the finish, they are a little harder to spot once the primer is dry. A bright light along with viewing the wall from an angle is also effective. Flat paints won't highlight the defects as much as a paint with a sheen but it's always best to get the drywall finish as good as you can.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread