Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom Skim Coat

12-13-17, 07:06 AM   #1  
Bathroom Skim Coat

What is the best/most often used joint compound used as a skin coat in wet/humid bathrooms?
Walls are in pretty good shape, but I figure a skin coat would make them look good for Christmas.
Removed wallpaper, cleaned glue off, patched holes. Will use primer, (1-2 coats perhaps gardz) one or two top coats.
Thanks for your help, this is all new to me.

Last edited by Tracker470; 12-13-17 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Incorrect word

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-13-17, 07:14 AM   #2  
It would be best to prime with Gardz as it will seal any leftover adhesive. The green lid all purpose joint compound would be best for skim coating, it has more adhesion properties than the lightweight mud.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

12-13-17, 07:37 AM   #3  
I would add that generally it takes 2 coats.

A lot of guys thin the mud and roll it on. Then use a wide knife to smooth it out. You might want to purchase a 24" knockdown knife for this. The less ridges you make the better.

Then roll on a second coat and drag your knife in the other direction.

Sand it down well, then get a bright light in there to check for imperfections. Sometimes these become more apparent after your first coat of primer. Fix them... Then spot prime. Then you're ready to paint.

Having a bright light in there is the key to seeing what you're doing... And helps you do a better job.

Search this Thread