Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Stuck on wall prep after removing gross mosaic tile in kitchen!!

Old 12-19-17, 04:28 PM

Hello everyone....have just purchased an apartment in an older (1959) building and have just knocked someone elseís gross backsplash off of the kitchen walls!

HOWEVER: I find myself at a standstill regarding how to proceed. My intention is to install simple white subway tile, or something similar. Do I plaster to make the walls smooth and even? Do I just nail some thin cement board over the top? Do I have to try to remove even more?

HEEEEELLLLLPPP!

I have included photos....you can see in parts the varying layers of original (cement board? or whatever they might have used in the late 50s), some sort of cement-like compound, a couple of different layers of plaster and multiple layers of paint!

Thanks a million, new pals!!

Brook

P.S. Iíve included one photo, as that was all that would upload!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-17, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK, broke my neck looking at your sideways picture. I would smooth out what is there with a setting type compound like easy sand 20. Once smoothed I would prime and paint and then add whatever finish you desire be it paint or tile.

Old 12-20-17, 01:53 AM
prime and paint

Prime, yes, paint, I would just skip.

Assuming your going to re-tile, in 20 years well be asked about removing some gross tile and when they remove part of the wall will come down just like this anyway!

Old 12-20-17, 03:58 AM
If the non-smoothness is only minor or if the level is only slightly off, you could just tile over the existing finish. The mastic can be used to fill minor gaps.

Old 12-20-17, 09:04 AM
it looks lkke most of the smooth finish has come off. Maybe, just maybe you can peel the rest of it off. This will give you a flatter surface to level out. It might take less work to scrape the smooth finish off and even out the brown coat than to try to even out what you have now. If the smooth finish is still well bonded then even out what yhou have. A setting joint compound as mentioned is the most amateur friendly way to do this.