Mud and/or Tape Top of Half Wall?

Old 12-21-17, 05:11 AM
Mud and/or Tape Top of Half Wall?

I have a half wall which I'm in the process of finishing up.

For the top, I'm thinking of screwing on some 1x8 boards, adding any shims as needed to level it out. The 1x8 will over hang each side by 1 1/4" which I'll tack on with some moulding followed by caulk on all seams.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Do I need to mud and/or tape the top inside corners where the drywall meets the 1x8 before the moulding?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-17, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
If you need more opinions than what you already got.... yes, cap it with trim. The top does not need drywall or corner bead. But finish the corner bead on those vertical corners before you apply any trim.

Old 12-21-17, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any special reason you plan to use 1x8? I usually see 1x6 used which has less of an overhang. Door stop is commonly used for the trim under the 1x.

Old 12-21-17, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
If you need more opinions than what you already got.... yes, cap it with trim. The top does not need drywall or corner bead. But finish the corner bead on those vertical corners before you apply any trim.
Yup, I plan on mudding the walls before working on the top. Just wondering if I need to mud and tape where it meets the top cap.

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Any special reason you plan to use 1x8? I usually see 1x6 used which has less of an overhang. Door stop is commonly used for the trim under the 1x.
The wall is about 4 3/4" wide. A 1x6 is 5.5" wide which isn't enough of an overhang to put moulding on both sides. I don't have a table saw so a 1x8 was my next option. The moulding I got is 11/16 wide so it should work.

What kind of door stop?

Old 12-21-17, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This isn't the style I see used the most but is similar - https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-1-...ulding/3041825