Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mud and/or Tape Top of Half Wall?

12-21-17, 05:11 AM   #1  
Mud and/or Tape Top of Half Wall?

I have a half wall which I'm in the process of finishing up.

For the top, I'm thinking of screwing on some 1x8 boards, adding any shims as needed to level it out. The 1x8 will over hang each side by 1 1/4" which I'll tack on with some moulding followed by caulk on all seams.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Do I need to mud and/or tape the top inside corners where the drywall meets the 1x8 before the moulding?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

12-21-17, 05:28 AM   #2  
If you need more opinions than what you already got.... yes, cap it with trim. The top does not need drywall or corner bead. But finish the corner bead on those vertical corners before you apply any trim.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-21-17, 05:47 AM   #3  
Any special reason you plan to use 1x8? I usually see 1x6 used which has less of an overhang. Door stop is commonly used for the trim under the 1x.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

12-21-17, 06:08 AM   #4  
Posted By: XSleeper If you need more opinions than what you already got.... yes, cap it with trim. The top does not need drywall or corner bead. But finish the corner bead on those vertical corners before you apply any trim.
Yup, I plan on mudding the walls before working on the top. Just wondering if I need to mud and tape where it meets the top cap.

Posted By: marksr Any special reason you plan to use 1x8? I usually see 1x6 used which has less of an overhang. Door stop is commonly used for the trim under the 1x.
The wall is about 4 3/4" wide. A 1x6 is 5.5" wide which isn't enough of an overhang to put moulding on both sides. I don't have a table saw so a 1x8 was my next option. The moulding I got is 11/16 wide so it should work.

What kind of door stop?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-21-17, 09:13 AM   #5  
This isn't the style I see used the most but is similar - https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-1-...ulding/3041825

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread