Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anyone know what this texture is?

IL

01-16-18, 05:54 AM   #1  
Anyone know what this texture is?

I think this is sand but am not sure. I have looked at a few "texture additives" but they don't look like this. Any ideas? Thanks

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-16-18, 05:58 AM   #2  
Looks like sand texture, it's added to the paint. Comes in 3 different grits. I haven't used any in over 20 yrs.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

01-16-18, 09:48 AM   #3  
Is this on plaster or drywall? How old is the building it is in? I think it looks a lot like a sand float plaster finish that has been painted multiple times. It might be a sprayed finish with aggregate in it. Can you isolate some of the aggregate and see if it is hard like sand or softer like perlite or Styrofoam?

IL

01-16-18, 06:56 PM   #4  
It is plaster. The stuff on top is about 1/8" thick. I can not get any of the aggregate off. House was built in 1956. The only sand additive I found so far is fine grit, this is way coarser than fine.

CAL

01-16-18, 09:06 PM   #5  
When it is new a plaster sand float finish is made of sand that will pass through a window screen. When it has been painted numerous times it looks a lot like what you have. I've seen acres of this look. I think you can experiment and come close to a match Try mixing some fine sand in joint compound and roll it on. The right combination of consistency in the mud and the knap of the roller. Or you can roll the new work then roll the whole wall after the new stuff has dried and you can get a match on the whole wall. Maybe you can come close by spraying joint mud with aggregate in it. Experiment, have fun and figure it our.

Search this Thread