Knock down texture application

Old 01-18-18, 07:03 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Knock down texture application

I have a ceiling about 16'X10' that has a knock down texture.

I opened a big hole 4'X10' wide in ceiling to do some framing repair and electrical wiring. Now the sheet rock is installed and a skim coat is on and I am trying to match the existing knock down texture.

Tried a "Homax knock down ProGrade" spray can and that thing didn't work too well. So I scraped it all off and called a pro.

The pro suggested that I hire him to spray the entire ceiling because matching the existing texture that's been previously painted on (multiple times) is close to impossible and the edges may be noticeable. That makes sense to me so I am tempted to agree.

However then I asked him, what about when you spray new texture on existing texture and then knock that down, wouldn't the double texture be noticeable too? He said no it should be fine.

So my question is:

Will it a knock down texture applied over an existing knock down texture be noticeable?

If so which is better or worse? Noticeable double knock down application, or noticeable knock down pattern difference and not quite bending of the texture between the old texture and new texture?

Old 01-18-18, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 247 Posts
I would put a skim coat on the entire ceiling and then spray the knock down if you want an (almost) invisible patch. 10' x 16' room should only take an hour or two to skim coat.

Old 01-19-18, 03:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
IMO knockdown texture is the hardest texture to blend in a large repair. I do as suggested above, light skim coat and texture the entire ceiling.

Old 01-19-18, 11:39 AM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
another approach,, not necessarily less work than skimming, is spray the patch only and knock it down then when it is dry prime and paint the patch and the whole ceiling to render the suction all the same. Then respray and knockdown the whole lid. An important part of a successful patch is working the joint down to nothing where the joint compound laps onto the old work.
For some reason I never figured out I once did a patch and then skimmed the whole wall almost good enough to leave smooth and sprayed and knocked it down. When it was primed and painted the outline of the patch showed a different color. It wall all smooth then primed and two coats of paint and the outline was a different shape than the rest. So even a perfect patch might still show.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: