Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do you clean your knives and mud pan after each use?

PA

02-01-18, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)  
How do you clean your knives and mud pan after each use?

I'm doing a home project that involves taping and mudding. After each use I wipe the knives and mud pan off with paper towels. This is kind of wasteful and the mud pan is never fully clean. Is there a better way to clean these items? Can you use water and flush that down the drain?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-01-18, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I always clean up with water, usually a water hose outside. While you might get away with washing the dissolved mud down the drain - it isn't a good idea!! really bad idea if it's a setting compound like Durabond or EasySand!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

02-01-18, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I scrape out what I can but then the final cleanup is in the sink with water. Haven't had it clog the drain yet but I'm not doing this often.

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

02-01-18, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)  
I scrape the pan out as clean as possible... and scrape the knives off too.

I wash the pan with a bristle brush but I don't waste my time getting it spotless. It's just going to get dirty again. I also don't usually wash the knives unless the handles got muddy. For the knives I give them a quick sanding with a sanding sponge right before I use them the next time. Washing knives can lead them to rust.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-01-18, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)  
I usually just dry my knife blades off after washing them although I've know pro finishers that would wash with water and then spray the blade with WD40.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

02-01-18, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Yeah, as seldom as I use mine, making sure the blades are dry is no big deal. Start using them every day and I probably switch to something like X's process.

MI

02-01-18, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Drywall mud dissolves in water so no issue cleaning in a sink, dont try it with plaster of paris, that wont dissolve!

ME

02-01-18, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Years ago I upgraded to a Hawk and tape reel and would never go back to a mud pan. The hawk gives you 4 sides to keep your knife clean while working. It is easy to remove 98% of the mud when done. Made out of aluminum it washes up quickly and never rusts. I scrape my knives on the edge of the hawk in preparation for every batch of mud going on the wall. it ensures the knife is clean and I can position the mud where I want it on the knife. I haven't looked but there must be some good videos on using a hawk.

The reel hangs on your side and acts like a third hand. Pull up the end, stretch out the tape along the seam, then hold the knife to act as a cutting blade and tear off the paper. drop the remaining end of the tape and give the reel a quick spin to pick up the slack and go to work setting the tape into the mud.

Bud

Search this Thread