Working with Bare Plaster

Old 02-15-18, 05:47 AM
Working with Bare Plaster

I recently removed 20+ yr old wall paper. A large section of paint (3-layers) came off all the way down to the plaster. A few questions:

- can I use drywall mud to lesson the transition from the bare plaster to the areas left with the 3 layers of paint?
- will washing with TSP harm the plaster?
- will a normal drywall primer work on plaster?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-18, 08:42 AM
Yes you can use joint compound to ease the transition. Make sure you get all the rest ot the other paint that is loose off.
TSP should not hurt the plaster. It does require rinsing. Can you keep the water off the floor? OR will it hurt if the floor gets wet? Wash the walls before you fill the offsets between paint and plaster.
I defer paint questions to the painters.

Old 02-15-18, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
I would skip the TSP just because it's so essential to remove all of it before painting.

Depending on the condition of the plaster, I might be inclined to go with an oil based primer but let's see what Mark has to say first.

Old 02-15-18, 10:33 AM
Something just occurred to me. How old is the house? It is possible that if the house is very old like in the neighborhood of 100 years +/- it could be painted with calsomine or kalsomine, a cheap, chalky "paint" that not much bonds to. The way I remember the old timers tell of it the best way to remove that is with a strong vinegar solution. I think I only ran into it once and it colored the water instantly and took a little scrubbing with a Scotch Brite pad to get it off. The plaster underneath was almost pristine.

Old 02-15-18, 03:50 PM
The house was built in the 40ís. The paint is coming off very easily.

I plan to use TSP to remove all the glue residue from the painted surfaces that survive.

Old 02-16-18, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
TSP is a great cleaner but keep in mind it must be rinsed well!
TSP residue is prone to cause adhesion issues.