Bathroom remodeled, paint cracking

Old 03-17-18, 10:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom remodeled, paint cracking

I’ve recently (finished about 1 month ago) had my bathroom gutted and remodeled and I am now noticing very fine cracks in the paint near the tile of the shower ceiling, about 5 of them. It’s right next to the shower tile ceiling so it is a high moisture spot. The whole bathroom was plastered, professionally done not by me. I am, however, the one who did the painting. The primer I used was Aqua Lock Insl-X from Ben Moore, and the paint was Kitchen and Bath Spa paint from Ben Moore.

Why would these cracks be appearing? Did I not apply enough coats of the primer and paint? I believe I did 2 of the primer and 1 of the paint. How do I go about fixing them? Should I have my plaster guy come back and plaster over that area? I’m thinking I might be able to just paint over them again since they extremely thin and straight cracks. It’s just like the paint wasn’t think enough and split.

Also, is there any risk of damage/mold to the plaster/board underneath with the moisture getting thru the cracks? I do have a very powerful fan in the bathroom but the ceilings are 7.5 ft so moisture will inevitably sit there even with the fan on.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-18, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 93 Posts
Is this a plaster veneer or just regular drywall. How long did you wait after finishing to do the painting? was the shower used during that time period? How long between the primer coat and the finish?

Thickly applied paint is more apt to shrink/crack than thinly applied paint. Paint alone doesn't usually make the cracks go away. Often they will need just enough spackling or joint compound to fill the crack with the excess being sanded off. Is there any texture or was it slick finished? Probably too early to be concerned about mold. Would these cracks show up in a pic?

Old 03-17-18, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe it was blue board with plaster veneer. It was a glass smooth finish when it was done.

Since I was getting my own people to do the remodel I had ample time to wait in between all steps. I waited over 2 weeks to paint after the plaster, and painted the coats over the course of a week. The bathroom itself was not ready for use for over a month after I painted. So I do not believe this has anything to do with wait time.

One other thing I thought of was that my electrician was above the area of the cracks (before they appeared) to finish some work in the attic, maybe the weight of him contributed to this. But 2 of the cracks have appeared very recently so that would rule that out.

I do have pictures but I cannot upload them, it keeps asking for a URL.

Old 03-17-18, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
see if this helps with the pic posting - https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

It's been a long time since I've painted any new plaster. I know it has a longer cure time and the paint store has strips you tape on the wall that will turn color if the plaster hasn't cured long enough ..... but the best I remember the biggest drawback to painting plaster too soon is having the color/luster 'burned' out of the paint.

Old 03-17-18, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 30 Posts
Click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right of the reply box, then click on the paper clip icon (attachment) to upload a pic.

Old 03-17-18, 11:35 AM
The plasterer said to wait at least 5 days before painting. I figured 2 weeeks was good.

Attached Images   
Old 03-17-18, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That kind of looks like a stress crack and could be related to the work in the attic. You basically have 2 choices; keep an eye on it to see if grows or go ahead and fix, touch up the paint and keep an eye on it to see if it returns.

Old 03-17-18, 11:54 AM
I was thinking that too but it doesn’t explain the others that showed up after. Do you think they go all the way thru the plaster and board or just the paint?

Also what is your suggested method of fixing? The plasterer is coming back next week to do another job, would it be best for him to just replaster that area?

Old 03-17-18, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It probably wouldn't hurt to have your plaster guy at least evaluate it. If I was to fix it I'd scratch out the crack a little and fill with Durabond. I'd only use drywall tape if I was concerned it might come back.

Old 03-17-18, 01:52 PM
Ok thanks. Iím mostly concerned about any mold/mildew potentially growing in the cracks or under the paint.

Old 03-18-18, 03:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It generally takes awhile for mold.mildew to become a concern and I doubt that small crack will accelerate that concern much. The 2 best prevention measures for mold is to run the exhaust fan and use a bath rm paint [has more mildewcide than normal wall paint]