Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Getting texture back on patched wall holes

Old 03-18-18, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hi.

Whats the trick to getting the texture of patched holes to look like the rest of the wall? They always come out smooth for me. I know some rollers are more nappy than others and I have no idea what kind of roller I used on these but I rolled them twice with very heavy coats. At the time the looked very textured but it went away.

The paint pro at the old Home Depot handed me a can of some texture spray when I described what I was trying to do. I quickly dismissed his recommendation and didn't even look at the can because I was thinking it was that popcorn junk. Is that what I need to do to get the texture the same? I attached two pics.

thanks

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  23.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-19-19 at 12:36 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
That is an orange peel texture. You can either buy an aerosol can of texture to spray over the patches or thin down joint compound to about paint consistency and either spray it on with a hopper gun or pat it over the repair with a sponge - I normally do the latter when the patches are small.

Old 03-19-18, 10:17 AM
Received 118 Votes on 109 Posts
paint pro at the old Home Depot

Usually that is an oxymoron but in this case he was correct.

Your patch was sanded smooth and your texture is greater than what can be applied with heavy roller.

The aerosol material works good, it has 3-4 different nozzle sizes so test spray on a piece of cardboard.

You will need to feather it out beyond the patch itself!

Old 03-19-18, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Not a bad idea to practice on cardboard or other scrap material to perfect your technique before moving to the wall.

Old 03-19-18, 01:58 PM
thanks, i will try and do the sponge method this week and post my pics.

Old 03-19-18, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Oe bristle

Or thin down some mud and dip a stiff bristle whisk broom in it and run it in der your hand so the bristles bend back then flick some specks off the end onto the wall. If it is too coarse wipe it off, thin the mud some more and flick harder.

Old 04-02-18, 09:14 AM
this is turning out to be way more difficult than I was hoping for. I tried several sponges with several different types of wall patch, plaster etc. I wasn't able to get this texture. the closest I have come so far is to water down some DAP wall patch and roll it on. it was still pretty far off. i just purchased a 1 1/4" nap roller. I am going to see if this helps get some texture with a thick coat of paint. I also purchased a can of that spray on orange peel. total waster of money. you are better off just flinging some crap on the walls.

Old 04-02-18, 09:55 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sorry you had bad luck with the aerosol. I do acres and acres of patches and on ones as small as yours that is all I use. Most repairs like this are invisible when painted. Maybe you opted for the most sophisticated, complicated can. The simple one is best. Did you practice a little first? Did you shake the can vigorously for a minute or more? Was the can too warm? or too cold? Room temperature is best. I looked again at your patch. it looks a little high in the middle. Maybe you are expecting texture to solve a problem it is not intended to solve. And other thing you probably don't know is that when the orange peel was first applied there was not100% coverage. Maybe you applied too much texture. Or maybe you should try my other trick. Flick some texture off of a whisk broom. I use a dash brush b ecause I have some but you probably don't have onehence the whisk broom suggestion.

I hope when you were not satisfied with your work that you wiped it off before it dried. Trying to fix unsatisfactory texture by adding more texture makes things worse.