Need advice on repairing drywall

Old 04-29-18, 10:11 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on repairing drywall

I need to repair drywall near one of my windows. I would like to know the best way to do this and what materials I will need.

Should I use self setting filler or the mix yourself kind?

Should I use fiberglass mesh or steel mesh?

Do I need any paper tape?

I see no water stains or dampness so I assume damage was caused by the Sun.

Picture are attached. All images are of the same window area.

Thank you in advance

Attached Images     
Old 04-29-18, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 320 Posts
The sun does not damage drywall/mud other then maybe making it fade. This is likely from water (condensation) or it also looks like the window is pretty new so it could be from that install.

It doesn't look too bad to me so I would just remove any loose material and fill with regular premixed mud. You could use some 45 or 90 min mud you mix yourself if you want faster recoat times.

Old 04-29-18, 04:26 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Its not drywall, it is plaster and the finish coat has delaminated and what you are looking at is the brown coat or scratch coat. Use a setting type compound and a putty knife to fill in the voids. Do it in small coats and let dry completely between scraping any ridges down before applying more. Finish with sand paper to a smooth finish. Prime, and paint to blend.

Old 04-30-18, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
I agree with Z, it's the plaster finish coat that has come loose from the plaster base coat. Moisture is the likely cause. I use a setting compound to repair plaster although since it doesn't sand as easy as ready mixed joint compound you might want to use the latter for the final coat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: