Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Use magnetic tool box to check drywall flat?

Old 06-08-18, 09:09 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am confused with inspecting the drywall. Basically, my basement was damaged by water leak. Insurance company asked a contractor did the renovations. However, we still see some bumps on some drywall. One of my friend suggests us to use Magnetic Tool Box Level to see those bumps, since some bumps are invisible but you can feel them with your hands. But the contractor said that they will only fix the visible bumps and won't use Magnetic Tool Box Level to measure all parts.
Also, the contractor said that it's normal that the drywall is not flat. I totally understand that. But the bump looks like 2 inch on the new drywall. On my old drywall, the bump could only be 0.5 inch. I mean the gap is bigger.

My question is: is this acceptable? I do not know that will drywall workers use Magnetic Tool Box Level to do their work? When I google online, some workers use this tool but some do not. Am I so picky?

Thanks,

Fisher

Attached Images    

Last edited by Fisher57; 06-08-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 09:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Finished joints especially butt joints will be raised slightly. If you put a straight edge over those areas does it rock? Unless skim coating the entire wall you can't expect a perfectly flat wall. I'm not saying you have to put up with sub par workmanship. Hard to say if your walls are finished poorly without being there to inspect them.

Last edited by marksr; 06-08-18 at 11:30 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-08-18, 09:36 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. Here is the contractor's briefly response:

We would be willing to come and complete a site visit where “visible” issues which will be circled and then itemized and repaired. The repairs would include an additional skim-coat to the visible issues, prime, and paint. This would include living and bedroom in the hallway. We will not be replacing any drywall boards tape seems or corner beads. You must understand that the wall will not be 100% level and that you will be able to feel some irregularities when we are complete.

What do you think his response? Do you think that is acceptable? I also attached 2 pics to show the current drywall. Thanks.

Old 06-08-18, 10:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 849 Votes on 784 Posts
Sheetrock sheet sides are tapered to allow for flatter joints. But if they butted together two ends then there is no way to avoid a hump of some sort. The ends of the sheets are not tapered so anything they do to finish the seam is on top of the flat surface and forms a hump. They can put on more mud to make the hump wider which can make it less visible but there will always be a hump.

In your case it looks like they were conserving sheetrock and instead of using a full piece to go floor to ceiling they butted two smaller pieces together. The only true way to make it flat is to remove the sheetrock and replace those two pieces with one... which is something the contractor said they will not do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: