Stucco Drainage Plane

Old 06-13-18, 11:52 AM
Stucco Drainage Plane

Hello, want to do a quick sanity check. We are adding stucco on an addition to our house. The construction is currently OSB sheathing with tyvek wrb. My current plan is to use 2 layers of #15 felt over the web, under the mesh, as a drainage plane to the weep screed. The walls are 9 foot tall, and mostly windows. Colorado plains climate. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
I'm a window guy not a stucco guy. But I would say you need to detail the windows correctly. They make a stucco casing bead to go around windows... (you need to leave a 1/4-3/8" expansion joint around the window perimeters that will get foam backer rod and caulk). If their nail fins have not been taped with a butyl flashing tape, now is the time to do it. Good contractors will usually plastic off the windows first, then apply the casing bead around the window to keep the window 100% clean. Once stucco is done, cut the plastic off... put in backer rod and caulk.

Old 06-13-18, 09:25 PM
Xsleeper, Thanks for the great window info! Windows are already installed, but it was a good double check. We have flex flashing on the sill and 4" duPont tape over the fins. Sealent under the fins. Expansion space to the frame (as best our framing permitted lol). The windows we bought had stucco clip perimeter for the transition.

I mostly want to make sure 2 layers of felt over wrb won't react (asphault likes to disolve things) and would provide adequate drainage.

Old 06-14-18, 03:49 AM
Group Moderator
Well, the correct Tyvek product behind stucco is really Stuccowrap, if you are worried about a drainage plane.

Old 06-14-18, 10:26 AM
two layers of felt should be a sufficient drainage plane. I cannot speak to the water vapor transmission quality of your installation.