Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

tearing out and redoing a bad drywall tape job HELP!

tearing out and redoing a bad drywall tape job HELP!

Old 09-03-18, 10:24 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy tearing out and redoing a bad drywall tape job HELP!

Yesterday I mudded and taped new drywall seams with fiberglass tape. Went to bed. Read up some more about it vs paper tape, freaked out at all the bad things people have said about fiberglass, came downstairs, and ripped it all out from it's semi-wet/dry home. I have attached pictures of what it looks like now. This is my question: I am going to redo it with paper tape. Obviously I should let the drywall dry completely beforehand. Should I sand down the remaining mud to practically nothing before remedying and taping or is it ok to scrape off most of the excess with the mud knife and reapply directly over it. This is a very visible area in the living room so I need it to look great and hold up over time great. We are in CO so I am also worried about curing time since it is so dry. Any help is SO appreciated!

Attached Images   
Old 09-03-18, 10:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
While it wouldn't hurt to smooth things up with either sanding or a wet/damp sponge, there shouldn't be any issues with retaping.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: