Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How To SmoothOut Joint Compound or Spackling

Old 09-19-18, 09:59 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts

I am looking for hints on how to smooth out spackling compound or joint compound or putty to get an even surface with the surrounding material.

No matter how I manipulate the putty knife, the wet surface of the new material tears apart or gets little gouges in it and those need to be filled in with another layer of joint compound etc. the next day after what was there has dried.

Old 09-19-18, 10:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Practice, practice, practice...

Only use fresh/new mud and don't put old back into the bucket. Hardened bits and dirt will make it more difficult the spread smoothly in the future.

Thoroughly stirring the mud before use can give is a creamier texture and make it easier to work with smoothly. Other than that it comes down to your technique. It just takes practice to learn to hold the knife at an angle, with the correct pressure and to focus your pressure on one side of the knife or other depending on where you want to feather the edge.

Old 09-19-18, 11:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I agree with everything PD said and would add that I usually thin my j/c just a little - makes it flow/slide better.

Old 09-19-18, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
If you have already applied tape to the wall, your next coat needs to cover up the tape. Use a wide knife... 8 or 10". Mix the mud like they mentioned... If you do thin it, only add a tiny bit of water to your mud pan... not more than a couple tablespoons.

Concentrate on putting the mud on about 1/8" thick. Don't worry about the edges. Just get it nice and smooth. Hold the knife at a low angle... your knuckles will almost touch the wall. If you get lines in your mud, your mud is contaminated with dried bits. You HAVE to keep the mud clean and the sides of the bucket clean. Wipe bucket sides with a wet rag. Throw out any mud that has goobers in it. Don't put used mud back in the bucket.

When it's dry, scrape any goobers off. Then apply more compound down each side of your last coat. This will cover any rough or uneven edges from the previous coat. This coat will be wiped down tight on each side.

Then sand it with a pole sander and skim coat anything that needs to be touched up. It will need a fine sanding once you have it finished. Then a coat of primer and a quick sanding with a pole sander.

Old 09-19-18, 06:45 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Thanks. I will give it more practice.

Old 09-19-18, 07:42 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Allan,
It may just be your terminology but my favorite drywall knife is a 6" blade. To me a putty knife is like 1.25" wide and may not be as flexible.

When you say pulling off it sounds like the mud is too stiff or the surface hasn't been prepared, scuffed and cleaned. If you add water to your mud (drywall compound) just a little, very little, is all you need. Best to practice in another pale so you can add back some mud if needed.

So, wider knife and get the consistency of the mud right.

Bud

Old 09-20-18, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
For small jobs I normally thin my mud as I go - in my mud pan. Just add a small amount of water and mix it up with your drywall knife.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: