crack on underlay

Old 09-25-18, 09:03 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crack on underlay

I was wondering if I had to fill this crack in the under layer of the wall prior to re-plastering the area. And if so what would be the ideal material to do it with if not plaster.

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-18, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
Since I'm not well versed in plaster I generally repairs areas like that with a setting compound like Durabond. I'd scratch out the crack a little first.

Old 09-29-18, 12:30 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
firsrt, make sure everything that is loose is scraped off. You have to be the judge of when to stop scraping. Groove out the crack a bit. The best bet for an amateur is to use a setting joint compound. I like to tape cracks like this with wide mesh tape. I like tape 6" wide. apply some mud, embed the tape. Let it set.
When it has set apply enough more mud to fill it flush. It might take more than one coat to get it filled flush Just as it sets mist it with water and trowel it smooth. Add the texture after the compound has set ands dried a bit.

Old 10-04-18, 08:39 PM
L
So Easy Sand would be sufficient for that task?

Old 10-04-18, 09:36 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Yes, EasySand is a good choice. Use an orangepeel texture in an aerosol can to add the texture after the EasySand is dry. if you did not get it smooth enough and if you have trowel marks you might want to sand it a little first.

Old 10-05-18, 04:27 PM
L
One last thing:

Is there an alternative to Big Wally's Plaster Magic? Its sold out on amazon and its price is seems a little out of line ($65+) for a single tube of adhesive and conditioner.

There's a little bit of play in a couple of the areas, maybe about a quarter of an inch in flex, and I"d like to anchor it down before I patch the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: