Bathroom wall plaster peeling away

Old 10-28-18, 01:47 PM
Bathroom wall plaster peeling away

I think there is plaster in my bathroom that is peeling away from the wall. There are also bubbles under the paint. There are no roof leaks, so is it possible that when the floor gets wet the water seeps into the wall and is causing the damage? Do I I have to reseal the floor tile? My daughter definitely makes the floor wet when she showers.

Do I need to just remove all bad plaster and use a thinset and then seal it? And seal the floor?

Thanks for the info.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-18, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
How about another picture or two from further away?

Old 10-29-18, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How old is your house? It kind of looks like texture and joint compound that is peeling.
How wet does the floor get? how long does it stay wet?

Old 10-29-18, 08:21 AM
House was built in the 70's. I've owned it for 2 years now. The floor got very wet when my 3 year old was bathing in there. We moved her into the master bath because of this issue. It stays decently wet. We would use a wet-vac to suck up as much water as possible and use a towel as well, but you can never get up all the water.

I thought it was the joint compound separating from the wall. Should I pull it all off and use new joint compound or and use a moisture-barrier paint on it?

Thanks again

Attached Images     
Old 10-29-18, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The damage along the tile shower is from water. It didn't happen overnight but rather from yrs of the shower curtain not fitting properly. I doubt the wall sucked up enough moisture from the floor to cause that damage next to the toilet paper holder. Not sure why it happened but you'll need to remove the loose, patch with joint compound and replicate the texture.

Baths should always be painted with a latex enamel [any sheen] a bath paint is even better and highly recommended if you don't have an exhaust fan.

Old 10-30-18, 09:29 AM
The floor was underwater a few times. Also, we had a leak in the toilet once and the water actually went under the wall into the hallway on the other side.

Old 10-30-18, 12:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water seeks out the path of least resistance. I would expect water that was sucked up from below to leave water stains before it got bad enough to cause the paint and/or mud to separate from the wall.

Old 11-01-18, 07:03 AM
Is it possible its the steam from the shower? If the wall wasn't properly sealed? I do not think its the roof.

Old 11-01-18, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt it's a roof issue. The damage next to the tile surround is definitely moisture damage from the shower. I don't know what caused the damage next to the commode but doubt it was steam from the shower or moisture wicking up from the floor. Normally a good primer and a coat or two of latex enamel is enough to seal the wall from moisture.