Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Plaster/Drywall under interior window sill cracking

Old 11-29-18, 06:36 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Gents/Ladies, looking for some help with this one. We turned out heat on about 2 weeks ago when I got cold here in the northeast. We have old steam radiators on first floor of house. Iíve noticed an expanding cracking in the drywall under the window sill in the last few weeks as well. Not sure if the two are related (is it possible the steam is causing this cracking)? Iíve also noticed the decorative sill is coming off the wall now. Any thoughts on whatís causing this? Can it be remedied? If so, how?

Thanks!

Last edited by NJMike; 11-29-18 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 852 Votes on 780 Posts
Hard to say with no photo but my guess is that your decorative sill is plastic, and is glued down... then when it gets hot and expands it probably is probably trying to crown upward and is taking a chunk of drywall with it.

you can fix it but it will probably come back. When the crack is at its widest, fill it with setting compound like Durabond 5 easy sand.

Old 11-29-18, 07:16 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to post pics from my iPhone? I have several I Can post.

Old 11-30-18, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Here are instructions for posting pics - https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html I don't know if you can post from a phone or not, I'm technology challenged and don't know much about that stuff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: