How can I fix this hole in the wall?

Old 12-07-18, 06:57 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I fix this hole in the wall?

There is a backdrop to our wood stove...some sort of concrete panel that had tiles on it. The tiles all fell or got ripped off (we are putting up sheet metal instead for a heat shield) but as shown in the picture there is a large chunk of the wall where the panel and the old drywall behind it has just been destroyed.

I'm not sure how to address this, it's odd in shape and way bigger than just some little hole I can throw some filler into. And it's partially behind where the old panel is vs just all straight exposed drywall. There is a draft there and exposed insulation so it's not good either way.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-18, 09:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
It would be best to cut the hole square and then install a piece of drywall cut to fit. Often you need to add a board [1x2, strip of plywood, etc] longer than the hole and screwed to the drywall on both sides of the hole so you have something to attach the patch piece to.

Old 12-07-18, 02:07 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
It does not have to be pretty. It will be covered but I advise taping the joint of the new with the old for additional fireproofing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: