Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Contractor wants hundreds more to hang 5/8" on ceiling

Old 08-28-19, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I've been getting bids to drywall my garage, and finally decided on a company. I emailed them this morning to ensure we were in agreement that the ceiling would get 5/8" rock (trusses are 24" o.c.), but he said he thought we agreed on 1/2", and that 5/8" would be $300 more. This seems ridiculous considering the ceiling only takes about 10 sheets and 5/8" is only $2 more per sheet. I realize 5/8" is a bit heavier, but they're using a damn lift and they are only 4x8 sheets. Should I fight him on this? And since when did companies start getting away with charging $75/sheet for drywall installation and finishing?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-19, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
My 2cents only, but what's there to fight? It's an estimate, so you can ask him to lower it or go with another bid or find someone else to give you an estimate. In the end it may be take it or leave it or DIY. Maybe it's me, but how can one fight an estimate??

Old 08-28-19, 08:52 AM
All the bids I've gotten thus far have been way more than I feel they should, and this guy actually came in reasonable. There's no way it is going to end up being lower than his estimate, I can guarantee you that (does that ever really happen?). I'm questioning the simple fact that he is asking $300 more to install 10 sheets of 5/8" vs. 10 sheets of 1/2" when the cost for a 5/8" sheet is only $2 more.

Old 08-28-19, 08:57 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Did you ask him why $300 more? your arguments are valid. $2/ sheet more and using a panel lift? if i had to guess, he took the opportunity to fix his low estimate.

Bud9051 voted this post useful.
Old 08-28-19, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
I understand what you're asking. What I'm saying is, you can't fight an estimate. Fight it where? In court? You can ask him to reconsider and lower it. If he doesn't, then you have a choice to take it or leave it. There's no where and no way to "fight" it.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 08-28-19, 10:26 AM
Did you ask him why $300 more? your arguments are valid. $2/ sheet more and using a panel lift? if i had to guess, he took the opportunity to fix his low estimate.
Exactly my thoughts. I asked if he would paint the walls as part of the original estimate if I provided the paint, and he said yes. The 5/8" on the ceiling gave him an opportunity to make some of that back. I asked him to explain and he admitted his installer charges more for 5/8", which still does not make sense. I'll likely go with them anyway because they are still quite a bit below everyone else.

Old 08-28-19, 10:29 AM
I understand what you're asking. What I'm saying is, you can't fight an estimate. Fight it where? In court? You can ask him to reconsider and lower it. If he doesn't, then you have a choice to take it or leave it. There's no where and no way to "fight" it.
I meant "fight" as in challenge, as in ask him for an explanation and ask that he lower it. He said he'll see what he can do.

Old 08-28-19, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'm not real familiar with it but there is a special 1/2" drywall made specific for ceilings. I'd suspect you'd pay more for the drywall but not the hanging with it. I'd still prefer to have 5/8" on the ceiling.

Old 08-28-19, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
My 2 cents is that I really tire of seeing posts like this on a diy site. If you don't like the price, do it yourself.

I sure as heck would charge more for hanging 5/8. How much does 7 or 8 chiropractor visits cost? Lol

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 08-29-19, 06:27 AM
My 2 cents is that I really tire of seeing posts like this on a diy site. If you don't like the price, do it yourself.
Trust me, if I had the time, I would. I work two jobs and I'm a full time dad, so that just isn't in the cards. It's just frustrating to get multiple quotes that are off by thousands of dollars for the same work, and get upcharged $300 when the cost of materials is only $20 more and they will be using a lift. Enough said.

Old 08-29-19, 06:45 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Be sure to get your final agreement in writing, signed and dated with all of the details. He has shown his hand and may well make other changes before all is done. And don't pay in full before the final work is done and approved.

IMO, $300 extra for 10 sheets is $30 per sheet on top of the $75 you mentioned. Too much!! Adding $100 to cover the extra the installer might want might be reasonable.

Not mentioned is the final finish. Often a garage might only get tape and one coat of mud. If you are painting be sure he understands what you want for a finish coat.

Bud

PS if the estimate is based upon cost per sheet look out, as the total number of sheets can go up significantly.