Drywall Compound - Mold?

Old 09-03-19, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall Compound - Mold?

Hi, I have a tub of drywall compound sitting in my basement that I have been slowly using over the last while. Yesterday I opened it up and found it looking like this:

Is this mold, or something else? There is no smell to it.

Whatever it may be, is there anything I can do to still use it or should I just discard it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-19, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
Yes, it's mold. I wouldn't want it used in my house. 5 gallons is about $12, so not a hard decision to make.

Next time keep the sides of the bucket perfectly clean (scrape down then wipe with wet rag) and cut a circle out of heavy plastic to lay on top of the mud, patting it down flat. (Depriving it of oxygen) And never add water to the bucket if you want to reuse it later.

mallik voted this post useful.
Old 09-04-19, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Yes, it's mold. I wouldn't want it used in my house. 5 gallons is about $12, so not a hard decision to make.

Next time keep the sides of the bucket perfectly clean (scrape down then wipe with wet rag) and cut a circle out of heavy plastic to lay on top of the mud, patting it down flat. (Depriving it of oxygen) And never add water to the bucket if you want to reuse it later.
LOL, yeah you're probably right. Thanks, I just wanted to make sure.

I will do as you suggested as get a plastic circle to lay on top of the mud. Any ideas where I can get this?

Would dry compound be a better option for me if I am just going to use it here and there?

Old 09-04-19, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
It's just clear poly plastic. Buy a roll of poly drop cloth and cut it out of that.

Powder works well for occasional use as you can mix what you need in a pan. But if you need many multiple batches you could also buy the smaller premixed buckets.

Old 09-04-19, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Don't they still have a round sheet of plastic at the top of the bucket when you first open it? I generally reuse it although most any plastic [even a garbage bag] will work.

Old 09-04-19, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Pro Form brand does.... USG does not.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 09-05-19, 06:44 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I've had a few buckets go that way on me in the last few years. It happens more with the mud in a bucket than it does when in the box/bag setup. Guessing less air or the mud just goes dry on me faster in the box/bag.

Old 09-05-19, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
It's been yrs since I've seen a box of mud [they don't sell them locally] but I always transferred the mud in the box to a 5 gallon bucket. The plastic they line the box with is prone to get dried pieces of mud on it which then transfers into your work

Old 09-05-19, 09:49 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
They still carry the boxes here. I almost always transfer them now to a pail. It's a lot cleaner to work with afterwards and as you mentioned, you end up with dry chunks.