Fixing patterned ceiling

Old 12-10-19, 07:30 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fixing patterned ceiling

I have questions about fixing ceiling.
After damaged water leaking from the roof, second floor calling was ugly. Replaced whole house roof and now time to work on the ceiling. From the pictures, what kind of material and how to make patterns matching whole ceiling.

Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  c2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  108.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-10-19 at 04:49 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 12-10-19, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
That is just a round stomp brush texture. There are several sizes so no way to tell you what size to try. Here is one example... there are many.

I doubt that repair will stand the test of time... I don't see any tape on the edges, and the transition doesn't look smooth. Texture doesn't hide a poor job of drywall finishing.

Old 12-10-19, 08:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Your first task is to make a nice smooth repair. You do this the same as you would for a smooth ceiling. In the end you will smoothing out an area a good bit larger than the patch.

I suggest getting some big cardboard sheets, scrap melamine or any other big flat surface and practice your technique before working on the ceiling. You'll need to lean how much mud to put on the brush and how hard to tap to get the desired shape. You also need to work on the spacing between your applications to create the overall texture to match your ceiling.

You can cheat a bit. After your ceiling is fully prepped and ready for the texture. Measure the locations of the other patterns. You'll see that they are somewhat regularly spaced. You can measure and make small marks on your ceiling where you need to center your taps to continue the old pattern.

Then in the end you'll need to repaint the entire ceiling. You can try matching the ceiling color and get paint tinted to match but I can guarantee that you'll be able to see the repair area. It's almost impossible to match the color and paint sheen exactly so it's best to just plan on painting the entire ceiling.

Old 12-10-19, 12:07 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My another question is what material I have to use finish, joint compound or plaster. Went to home depot there are f kind of plaster base, smooth and finish plaster. I asked couple of guys but they are not familiar with plaster. Someone told me mix plaster with compound. Here is another pic, So I still have tape all the edges?

Name:  c3.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  59.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-10-19 at 04:50 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 12-10-19, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
You need to sand the texture off the perimeter of the repair. About 8" around. You HAVE to sand off more texture in order to tape and finish it. Yes, you need to embed tape in the perimeter of the repair. I'd use fiberglass tape and then lightweight setting compound for your first 2 coats. The repair needs to be level with the surrounding ceiling, sanded smooth.

For your texture, you will use standard joint compound mixed with just enough water to make it the consistency of pudding.

Old 12-10-19, 01:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I would add that the more water you add to the j/c the thinner/lighter the texture will be, less water makes a heavier texture. You can experiment on a piece of cardboard or scrap drywall.

You don't have to use a setting compound as it can all be done with regular joint compound BUT if doing so you should use paper tape and not mesh tape.

Old 12-10-19, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
From the looks of it, the patch is 1/2" rock while the rest of the ceiling is 5/8". That whole thing will need at least 1/8" of mud over it... that and the gaps are one reason I'd probably use the setting compound for the first 2 coats. (Less likely to crack) Joint compound for the last and for texture. DIY'ers love fiberglass tape for some reason. Probably because it sticks and you can mud right over it... but yeah- only with setting compound. Otherwise paper tape all the way.

Old 12-10-19, 01:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
rom the looks of it, the patch is 1/2" rock while the rest of the ceiling is 5/8"
Good catch, I didn't notice that
You can still use ready mix mud but it will take multiple coats as it can't be applied as thick as a setting compound. Setting compound is quicker! I was just offering options if you didn't want to buy 2 types of mud.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: