Fireplace Tile Fascia

Old 02-04-20, 07:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fireplace Tile Fascia

Looking for some guidance here on doing a gas fireplace fascia.

Currently we have a gas fireplace insert, fireplace is in the corner of the room, looking to do a tile over the whole thing. It is all drywall right now, wood mantel.

We were looking at doing a slate tile from the home depot, it is advertised as a peel and stick, 1/4 thickness. Not crazy about the stick on, Im old fashion and like the thinset but I read a lot of people use an adhesive glue behind it for added protection, also says you could you us a latex modified thinset.

I need to build a inner wall, since we want get rid of the "step out" of the mantel currently and just go straight up from the floor. Should I plan for a 2x4 structure, sheeting it with plywood and then cement board?

Or do I need to remove all the drywall from the lower half and then cement board everything directly to the studs currently behind the insert?

I have done a fair share of tile work but just want to do this right seeing how much wall tile there will be.

Name:  IMG_3843.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  57.2 KB

Old 02-04-20, 11:09 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
To be honest Ive never heard of peel and stick slate tile and I would stay away as far as possible from that and any mastic product for any tile job.

So to better understand, your removing the mantle and taking the lower wall around the fireplace straight up to the ceiling?

If so yes, 2x4 construction!

Is tile going all the way up to ceiling?

Old 02-05-20, 06:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes that is correct, all the way to the ceiling in a column. I just didn’t know if I could put cement board over the existing drywall on the bottom or I would have to strip that down to the studs.

Old 02-05-20, 09:28 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I will default to what the tile supplier states.

My fireplace has drywall and we installed faux stone directly to this using mesh and scratch coat, it was an acceptable installation method and clearly would be many times heavier than tile, you need to inquire!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: