Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Adding to spacking compond with joint compond to finish filling in opening?

Old 02-15-20, 03:01 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I started to fill in old unused electrical box originally used as a light fixture that was removed (w/ knob & tube capped off) that was blocked off with a piece of cardboard so not to fill in the entire cavity.
I used 5 year old lightweight spackling compound that I wanted to use up the rest of..

Is it ok to finish (fill in) the rest with new joint compound, or should I remove what I already did and start fresh? After wetting the spackling compound, will the joint compound bond to it ok?

Last edited by videobruce; 02-15-20 at 05:51 AM. Reason: re-worded for clarity
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-20, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
It will probably be ok but you need to tape over the void or your patch will eventually crack.

Old 02-15-20, 06:11 AM
V
Understood, I wanted to reduce the 'raised' portion. As it is, the area around what was a 'round' base of the fixture is already raised somewhat.
(I wasn't concerned about the shrinkage since it was going to be covered over anyway)

Attached Images   
Old 02-15-20, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 341 Votes on 313 Posts
Spackling should be removed imo. It is not at all suitable for large repairs and a repair over it is sure to fail. Large repairs should also be reinforced with tape.

stickshift voted this post useful.
Old 02-15-20, 11:23 PM
V
Too late, it's already been covered over (with tape I will add).
I have 3 of these, only one I used the spackling compound, the other 2 joint compound was used for the 1st and 2nd coats.
I'll just have to see what happens.

Old 02-15-20, 11:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
As X said, that hole was too big for spackle. In the future, spackle is for small holes, like those left behind when nails are removed. Of course, joint compound can tackle that job as well so anyone who has joint compound around doesn't tend to use much spackle.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 02-16-20, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
If you have any scrap drywall I'd cut a piece about 2" or so larger than the electrical box hole, then back cut it leaving the gypsum only where the box is. You can then use the drywall's face paper as tape and mud that piece in place.

Old 02-16-20, 06:11 AM
V
It will probably be ok but you need to tape over the void or your patch will eventually crack.
From the 1st response.
Like I said, I wanted to try to use up the older material first, but had reservations afterwards. Down the road, if it fails, I can always re-do it, it's not a big deal to me. Just the school of 'hard knocks'.

BTW; thou I didn't mention it, the "knob & tube" in my OP should of giving it away, this is lath & plaster I'm working with.
Thanks for the input all.